Decent web cam for poking in holes

Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination would be ideal.

Reply to
John Rumm

George

In message , John Rumm writes

When I needed to investigate a wasps nest, I bought a camera from Maplin and illuminated it with a car headlight bulb

The distance was too great for a webcam (i.e. USB), It was powered from the 12V battery and I used a portable TV to watch it on

Something like this

has similar

Reply to
geoff

attach a bright led on the front of the shaft?

George

£17 incl P&P on ebay how much was yours?
Reply to
George

There ya go Geoff,wireless as well. ;-)

George

In message , George writes

than leds not working one. This item lux very lower lower than 0.5 lux..closer 0 lux it can work at totally dark.Day color night infrared B/W camera."

Despatched from an interestingly named place in HK called Shatin.

Reply to
Si

If you're worried about where its coming from? don't as they do deliver...thats why I have three. :-)

Reply to
George

In message , George writes

Prolly about £30, who cares - I wanted one immediately, and Maplin is about 5 minutes walk

Reply to
geoff

In message , George writes

I got it from CPC several years ago - I just couldn't find it, when I needed it

Reply to
geoff

"Nights in white Shatin.... "

Reply to
Steve Walker

were some on ebay last week, from a scandanavian seller.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Steve Walker writes

One imagines "shatin" would be a shade of brown... ;-)

Reply to
Kenny

In article , John Rumm writes

I have one of these in my bits box:

(or search on CS14082 on

It has white LED illumination, not IR. The level of lighting is automatic - LEDs off in a lit room, full brightness in darkness. There are 6 LEDs and the level of light they provide is surprisingly high.

The picture produced is a bit crap for use as a desktop webcam but would be fine for the purpose you want. USB connection. It's also very small (appx. 1.5" square) and light.

I no longer want mine - you can have it for the cost of postage if you like.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

What a fantastic-looking bit of kit! If it was December that would definitely be in my Xmas list. Here's the ebay link FWIW although there are none listed at present. Not sure how comfortable I'd be parting company with cash to a relatively newbie overseas ebay seller either.

David

Reply to
Lobster

You really aren't going to believe this... The company I work for designed a control panel for Shatin sewage works.

Reply to
mick

Reply to
George

What is the smallest hole you can get it through? Sounds like 1.5" might be a bit on the large side for the apps I have in mind.

A kind offer thanks!

Reply to
John Rumm

How about this