Decent web cam for poking in holes

Yup, something with an overall cost in the ballpark of the postage on that would be good! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Does it have to be a *web* cam (implying connection to a computer) or would something be ok which you connect to a TV?

If TV is ok, you might consider one of these:

have one inside a nesting box - but there's no reason why it wouldn't do what you want. When there's decent lighting, you get a colour picture. When it's dark, the IR LEDs switch on and you get a B&W picture. It's powered from a wallwart, through an additional wire in the signal cable. The camera is (manually) focusable from a few inches to infinity.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You could have had a wireless one for that. :-)

George

wires or endless battery changes).

Reply to
Roger Mills

True but as one of my cameras is upstairs pointing out of the backroom window into the yard and the PC is downstairs in the front room, that would be a helluva lot of cable to the PC dont you think. ;-)

Reply to
George

Maybe - except that these cameras don't connect to a PC, they connect to a TV. And I was really answering in the context of using it in a nesting box - where you've really got to run power to the box in some form or another, so might as well use a wired camera.

Mine actually feeds a portable TV very close to where the cable comes through the wall of a bedroom, and I can also use it with wireless video senders to display the picture on the main TV downstairs.

But this is all getting a bit OT with respect to the original question!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Web cam would be preferable since it is easier to lug a laptop to a point of use rather than a TV and a power supply...

Having said that I have a mini DV camcorder that will allow analogue input, so could possibly use that as a monitor.

Ta for that, will add it to the list of possibles.

Reply to
John Rumm

Any camera can be used on a PC using either a TV/Capture card or DSR card. These cameras work on the TV as well.

Reply to
George

They are low powered so a B&Q wind turbine should do the job.

Reply to
dennis

Steve Firth

Yes I know, but a cam with a PAL/composite video output isn't *primarily* intended for computer use in the way that a USB-based web cam is.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In article , John Rumm writes

If you'd like to take it up, drop me an email.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson