A bright idea?

I've got an inflatable to inflate with only a foot pump. I was thinking that it's a shame the vac doesn't blow because I could use that. Then I thought that the reason the vac sucks is because of the way the motor turns. So if I reverse live and neutral in the plug it will blow, right? :- S

Reply to
Sneezy

It will blow with enough pressure to move loose dust right? They are not used in industry for anything except cleaning factory floors right?

Get yourself a compressor.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Reply to
Erik the Viking

A mains supply works on AC (Alternating Current) which is reversing its flow many times a second, so reversing the wires in the plug doesn't change the flow at all really. If the motor worked on DC (Direct Current) then the polarity change by swapping the wires around would reverse the direction of the motor, but not on an AC supply I'm afraid.

Reply to
BigWallop

NO. but most vacuums have an outlet which the hose can plug into. Failing that a cheap electric blower can be bought for just this job for about ten pounds. or a hand pump even cheaper.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

To reverse a brush motor like this you need to reverse the field winding connections. But then you'd be blowing through a path designed to suck, so things might blow off...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not so on a universal motor as normally used in vacuums. A permanent magnet motor, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Wrong

Reply to
Oz

But reversing the motor rotation won't make the fan "blow"!

Buy an old Electrolux cylinder where the suction hose can be swapped from the "suck" end to the "blow" end, or a Numatic which comes with a blower take-off.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

If your vacuum cleaner does not have a place to plug a hose in, then simply finding a large plastic sack, placing the cleaner inside, securely tying round the hose, and cutting a hole in the sack to tie another hose onto, may work.

Ensure adequate airflow out, otherwise the cleaner will melt.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You missed out the bit about leaving the air intake OUTSIDE the bag...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It certainly will on some.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Sneezy wrote in news:Xns94E2218DC9645mapspartntlworldcom@194.168.222.123:

So we've established that it's a bad idea :) Foot pump it is. If I start now it'll be done by tomorrow morning :D

Reply to
Sneezy

In message , Sneezy writes

Is this another wind up or not?

Reverse L & N and it will suck like it did before

Reply to
geoff

It would still suck in most cases. The old fashioned hoover fans would blow if reversed, the more modern ones that use 2 stage centrifugals would still suck.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In message , Sneezy writes

CPC sell high volume, low pressure pumps for under a tenner

Reply to
geoff

Generally less efficiently though.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

geoff wrote in news:QlFC++Mw$$ snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com:

I didn't realise about the AC/DC thing and since time and cash were short I though reversing the vac would do it but clearly not :) Will have to invest in a proper pump.

Reply to
Sneezy

Hi,

One of those salon type hairdryers will do it.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C