Obsolete batteries

Has anyone seen in recent times an Ever Ready No.8 battery or equivalent? They measure about 7/8" dia x 3" long and are 3 volts.

They've obviously not been used in new anything for years, but I don't know if they are absolutely, totally obsolete or just very obsolete and therefore difficult to find. Obviously I've not found any yet, but I'd like to get some vintage items working if I can.

I know I might be able to hook up something with a small 3v lithium cell, but I don't think I can be bothered to do that at the moment. I'd much rather just pop in the real thing.

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

Some of these old style single cells that yours has two of are still used as part of a battery pack. I needed an IIRC No 11, for a test meter, and it turned out to be the same size as the cells used in the 4.5 v 'flat' battery fitted to many cycle lamps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Paul C Lewis writes

have you tried

me

Maplin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd be STRONGLY tempted to make up a 2 or 3 cell Nicad pack and get a charger for it.

the diameter is the same as SUB C cells...two of these in series

net you 2.4v and be about 3" long.

Or for serous capacity

assume its for valve heaters or something?

Very hard to find, and expensive. Even things like PP9's are hard to come by. MUCH better to make up a Nicad pack and alarldite them into a suitable tube or some such.

Lithium are a bit too expensive really. AND a bit too high voltage.

Two nicads make a good replacement for two dry cells.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is Ever Readys new name

is a wider source of information

you find something there

Reply to
Philip

In message , Dave Plowman writes

I remember them.

Once upon a time, when I was in Nepal needed one for my torch, it was impossible to get one in Kathmandu. I got someone in a radio repair shop to solder together three AA cells

... but then I was ... very very drunk at the time

Reply to
geoff

I expect there's a GPO or MoW (now MoD) part number for them and a huge warehouse full of them somewhere.

Reply to
G&M

You could try here:-

troubleinstore