Replacement rails for sliding patio doors

I'm trying to save myself several hundred pounds by refurbishing some ageing patio doors rather than replacing them. They have many interesting "features" that need rectifying (including a section that seems to have been eaten by the previous occupiers' dog) but the major problem is that the slider rails have simply worn down with use. My initial investigations have not turned up a source of these rails, but I'm sure it must be possible to buy replacements somewhere. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Many thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Hopefully I'm not stating the bleedin' obvious, but do you know who the manufacturer was, and if so have you tried contacting them?

I would have thought any such rails would be brand-specific, so without knowing who the m'fr is, I suspect you may be stuck. If the m'fr is indeed unknown, have you tried doing the rounds of all the local patio door fitters (I'm assuming yours are uPVC or something, rather than a bespoke joinery job?) on the premiss that the previous occupants may have originally done likewise?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Come on, I can't be the only person that's ever tried to do this !! Are there any other skinflints out there ???? Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Hi David, They are wooden doors. No, I can't tell who the manufacturer is - any indications have long since gone. I was hoping that the rails would be generic, not brand specific. If you're right then it looks like I'll have to shell out for replacement doors (which will be UPVC). Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

If all you need to do is replace the rail that the doors run on why not just put a section of steel rod in its place?

If you can't rivet it or set it in another piece of material, perhaps a nearby welding firm could fit it for you.

Replace the wheels while you are at it.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil