10 amp fuses - quick moan

Yes. I have in my travel collection a C5 to Type M, and a C5 to Type F

Reply to
Mark Carver

I'm using the word in its standard meaning. It is curious that the regs use it nonstandardly.

Reply to
Animal

Many professions use standard definitions to convey specific circumstances. A very good example is where you can be guilty of harassment in the Harassment Act 1997 where you haven't harassed anyone in the dictionary sense.

It is best to harmonise with standard definitions in a profession, otherwise you look like a dork when you start talking nonsense, or even worse end up in prison.

Reply to
Fredxx

I use it in the standard sense, ditto other terms like low voltage. If others wish to use odbball uk-government speak they can.

Reply to
Animal

Using a term defined by your own standards doesn't make any sense.

Not sure what "oddball uk-government speak" you have in mind. The issue is here vagueness, where you're talking another language only you have defined. It might just as well be French. If you want to talk electrical installations then best speak the language, or forever be misunderstood.

Trying to justify the language you are using against the tide of everyone else does you no favours.

Reply to
Fredxx

Now here is the thing... there is an ongoing discussion where we have spelled out quite explicitly what terms are being used, and what they mean. They are also the same terms as used in BS7671, and are defined in the same ways there.

L "This topic comes up over & over & folk are seldom willing to learn"

Yet now, at the very end of a discussion, we get this little gem:

So does that make one of the "folk" to which you refer above?

Do you not suppose you would sound far less argumentative, and cause far less confusion if you were to start with an explanation that you wish to deviate from the commonly accepted definitions, and perhaps *explain* what you are actually talking about?

Reply to
John Rumm

Must admit, that while very familiar with the connector, I have not heard it called that before :-)

(although can see why the name fits!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Does it not become a 'standard meaning' once it is incorporated into regulations? After all, when a term is defined in an Act of Parliament, this becomes its legal meaning.

Reply to
Scott

You cannot assume there is one "standard" meaning of any word or phrase. The same word or phrase can be - and often is - defined to have different meanings for the purposes of different statutes. That's one of the reasons why drafters of modern legislation try to make it easier to find definitions.

ISTM Animal takes the definition of "fault current" to be any abnormal current. I'm no electrical engineer but that seems fair enough for use at large.

But in a discussion of fuses in general - and to differences between fault and overload currents in particular - it seems bizarre not to have regard to the definitions in BS7671 of fault (which nods pretty clearly in one direction), overcurrent and PFC.

Reply to
Robin

Yes. As usual there are various standards one can choose from. Why some folk get fixated on their particular chosen one I don't know. It's odd.

In this particular case, fault current means current due to fault in the sense of equipment misbehaviour, and it is the sense used in most disciplines. UK electrical regs use it in a way that's out of kilter with everyone else, for whatever reason.

The regs use fault current to mean a dead short rather than just overcurrent.

Seriously I don't think this is an issue that warrants the level of time consuming that one or 2 wish to get into. Nor the level of false haughtiness. It's not something worth basing one's ego on.

Reply to
Animal

OTOH it's also not worth letting pass your claim that BS7671 is "out of kilter with everyone else" when it comes to fault current. Care to share your research on that so we can see why it seems at odds with US practice and now definitions according to e.g.

"The 2020 NEC has newly added definitions for “fault current” and “available fault current” in Article 100 per below:

Fault Current. The current delivered at a point on the system during a short-circuit condition.

Fault Current, Available (Available Fault Current). The largest amount of current capable of being delivered at a point on the system during a short-circuit condition."

Reply to
Robin

Ironically the regs actually cite fault current as an example of overcurrent.

They recognise two classes of overcurrent: overload and fault current.

Their definition of overload is a pretty close match to what you claim as your definition of fault current.

Reply to
John Rumm

So stop talking bollocks and being a d*****ad.

Reply to