10 amp fuses - quick moan

That is the continuous rating of the IEC connector.

Find a spare IEC inlet. Wire it up short between L&N. Connect your IEC lead and power up. Would you expect a 13 amp fuse not to blow. but the IEC connector to burst into flames?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Of course not, but that might be the case with a continuous overload.

Reply to
SteveW

But, to be philosophical, that has to be better than being presented with three incorrectly colour-coded ones.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes. 'Earth' is also an interesting concept there. I've got a photo somewhere of a genny in Qatar, with its earth spike driven into pure bone dry (obvs) sand.

Reply to
Mark Carver

2 amps is more than enough for a small lamp. 1 amp is likely to be okay.
Reply to
Scott

This would explain the existence of unfused plugs.

Reply to
Scott

Interesting. You should teach this stuff (not necessarily with the live snips demonstration).

Reply to
Adam Funk

My maths teacher was ex-army and his nickname was Biffo

Reply to
Andrew

Nor to most people with actual disabilities. It's a free parking scam for many.

Reply to
Andrew

If there is a possibility of the device itself overloading, it should have an internal fuse, etc. Remember most countries don't have fuses in the plug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

We had one for geography. His nickname was *whilst in detention*:-(

No excuses were ever accepted.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Which does not protect against a user connecting multiple loads via an unfused adapter - such as two or three-way IEC connectors.

Reply to
SteveW

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Reply to
4587Joey

Half an amp would be plenty, but it is not relevant to the point being made. i.e. with a table lamp or similar, the fuse does not need to be there for overload protection at all. Its only purpose is to provide fault protection of the wiring downstream of the plug.

Much the same as when you take an unfused spur from a 32A ring circuit, the MCB offers no overload protection to the spur, only fault protection.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't know, the live demos always help make a good point. :-)

Like what happens when you have a short circuit on a mains lead, and the plug is fitted with a fake BS1362 fuse:

John Rumm

Motors able to overload with no internal fuse are widespread.

Reply to
Animal

Normally true, but I've seen the aftermath of a 275w bulb in a 60w fitting.

Reply to
Animal

Not enough current to blow even a 1A fuse... sometimes you just can't fix stupid! However when the fitting melts and you get a hard short, then the fuse (any fuse!) can do something useful.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the inrush current might take it's toll on a fuse after it's been suitably oxidised and degraded over time.

Reply to
Fredxx

Inrush current can degrade a fuse without excessive oxidation being present. The fuse wire expands almost instantaneously during the inrush and bends slightly. Eventually metal fatigue causes the fuse wire to crack at the ends where the wire is terminated. I have seen this effect in low-current (1A) pcb mounted fuses in a power supply. John

Reply to
John Walliker