10 amp fuses - quick moan

5 amp fuse for 1200 watts.

Is it my imagination that a black and white TV had a 5 amp fuse and a colour TV 13 amps?

Reply to
Scott

At our school we used to link up the 12 volt terminals with magnesium ribbon and wait for the physics teacher to turn on the supply.

Reply to
Scott

Can they be checked by weight? Mine come from various sources so it would be useful to know.

Reply to
Scott

No, I remember the same. Colour tellies had a big in-rush surge, thanks to the powerful de-gauss required.

Page 41 here, how about 47 Amps for a 20 inch broadcast monitor ? :-)

Mark Carver

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:40:15 +0100, Mark Carver snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote: [snip]

I thought they were moving to Type N:

Scott

Possibly, but until you open them up you don't know how accurate your weighing is.

A genuine BS1362 fuse weight is 2 grams on average, anything higher or lower than this weight could mean it has not been filled with the required quartz sand. Quartz sand is in the fuse to control the breakage of the fuse wire and containment of flame reactions within the ceramic body.

The combined weight of the 9 fuses is 18g. The weight of 9 genuine fuses on the same scales is 23g.
Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Reply to
Mark Carver

Maximum continuous would have been better.

Pretty well any fuse will stand a short term overload. Hence with transistor amps etc it's often said the transistors are there to protect the fuses. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

So what you seem to be saying is a 13 amp socket it perfectly safe at twice its rated load, but an IEC will self destruct as soon as 10 amps is exceeded?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I had an early CRT colour set (part valve). On the back, 500w IIRC. But it would blow a 5 amp fuse at switch on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No, but back in the '80s, my father managing the design office and test lab for Volex / Ward & Goldstone and being on the BS1363 committees (he even got some of my wording in there), chairing some of the meetings and attending IEC conferences around the world - I do trust his consideration that a 13A plug will take such a high overload for a considerable time and will most likely smell and char over a long period before any real harm is done, while an IEC connector will be much more likely to fail rapidly and disastrously ... especially the numerous fake ones that are not even up to 10A.

Reply to
SteveW

No, I'm using the term fault differently than you. I'm using it in the engineering sense, not to mean a dead short.

that's what I was talking about. Those happen IRL.

Reply to
Animal

It strikes me as obtuse to adopt a different interpretation standardised terms, widely used and understood in the electrical installation industry, and then try and have a meaningful conversation about electrical installation.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's good you identified the issue.

Reply to
Fredxx

Sloppily colloquial is when you walk into an IT workshop and see bins of cables marked "micky mouse leads" and "kettle extensions" ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I refer to 13A to IEC leads as 'National Grid Interface Cable'

Reply to
Mark Carver

Just what is a fake IEC connector? Not aware there was one maker who had the design rights to it.

I'm sure you can get rubbish IEC connectors if you try hard enough. And 13 amps ones too.

But let's take your hypothisis. You find a 13 amp to multiple IEC adaptor which doesn't contain a 13 amp (maximum) fuse? And wonder why that would be open to abuse?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

IEC leads were commonly called kettle leads in broadcasting when they came in. Even although a standard IEC female won't fit a kettle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've never heard 'Micky Mouse Leads' used until Andy's post

Presumably a 'Clover Leaf' C5 ?

|pcrid|224648252532|kword||match||plid||slid||product|PL13336|pgrid|51012380110|ptaid|pla-426919221793|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!224648252532!!!network}!426919221793!&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhqaVBhCxARIsAHK1tiMIIQ2QUFEPAou6DP9-Y1NViLt-VgCeyCTnVbOHGyvz2qjoQUE2UaIaAt8MEALw_wcB>
Reply to
Mark Carver

Yep, reasonably common for laptop (or monitor) power bricks.

Reply to
Andy Burns