10 amp fuses - quick moan

I've got a few 1A ones in use (mostly as anti-paranoia measures) Bought them probably 45 years ago !

Reply to
Mark Carver

I thought plugs were 3A and 13A - all other values were for FCUs

Shaver adapters?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

No, those are 19mm long (BS646), the 13A plug top ones are 25mm

Reply to
Mark Carver

nearly all mains connections measure badly at lower voltages. That would be .24mm dia wire, which is a tad small for an extension lead, but if thats what te manufacturer had....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My thinking too. Periodically people come on and say there is no connection between the fuse and the appliance as the fuse is only to protect the lead. I have never followed this logic.

I had my Shuko socket fused at 1 amp for charges only until my brothers have me a EU coffee maker and I upped it to 10 amps. I assume chargers are internally fused?

Reply to
Scott

Indeed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What is this 'bus' thing, of which you speak?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plugs may be, but what plugs into them may not be.

My 5A sockets have no fuses anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mark

Don't you mean 3/4" and 1" in proper measurements :-)

Reply to
ARW

Big bulky vehicle that gets in the way of car drivers..

I have used 3 in the last 3 years and found the following

  1. If there are 4 of you it's cheaper and faster to get a taxi.

  1. There is always a lunatic on a bus. The one from Filey to Hunmanby had someone on it who had just been released from prison and visiting Hunmanby was a violation of his release conditions. Arrested at Hunmanby when he got off the bus

  2. You have to walk to something called bus stops to use one and then walk to your final destination when you get off one.
Reply to
ARW

Oh, no, I've been unwittingly metricificationalised  :-/

Reply to
Mark Carver

Assume nothing (Especially if manufactured east or south of Vienna )

Reply to
Mark Carver

When I needed one the owner of the village electrical shop fished out a box of fuses that his long-dead father had and found a box of 10A fuses with 2 left in the box.

He remarked that he could not remember when someone last bought that value (the box was well dog-eared) and charged me £2 for the 2.

Reply to
Andrew

Unfused the ring cabling in your house is capable of dumping 32 Amps (and more) into a faulty appliance cable...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Not surprised at that price ;-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is the best made up word I have heard for years. Thanks.

Reply to
ARW

Of course, but why does this prevent anyone from looking at the appliance, looking at its power rating and working out the lowest amperage fuse that could be used (taking account of surge currents where a motor is involved)? If 13 amps is better than 32 amps then 2 amps must be better than 13 amps to my mind at least.

Reply to
Scott

I used to buy 13A plugs fitted with 3A fuses from CPC for TV distribution head ends. I also used to buy packs of 3A fuses. Somehow, twelve years after retiring, I find that I have literally thousands of plug top fuses, 1A, 3A, 5A, 7A, 10A, 13A. The problem (if it is a problem) also extends to other things. It is inconceivable that I will ever use more than a small fraction of the wood screws of every conceivable size and type, ditto self tappers, 8, 6, 4, 2BA machine screws and nuts, boxes of thousands of washers, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10mm machine screws and nuts, plus some stainless, some nylon, some brass. Thousands of washers of all sorts of sizes. Rolls and rolls of heatshrink. Boxes of insulating tape. All sorts of cable clips including (discovered the other day) 15 boxes of 100 10mm round clips. It's just ridiculous.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

On 06/06/2022 18:59, Mark Carver wrote: metricificationalised  :-/

I've practised and practised and now I can say that. It's a good word.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It is, there's absolutely nothing wrong or bad about putting in a smaller fuse than required, if the appliance load allows.

However the purpose of the plug top fuse is to protect the cable,

Reply to
Mark Carver