Stanley garage door opener problem

I'd like to *fix* my Stanley garage door opener bloody well right, but I don't have the money to replace it just now. The problem is the (IR) optical sensor set at the base of the rails, which keeps going out. I replace 'em ($65), they break again. Act like they're operating properly (beep when you pass an obstacle through the beam) but won't allow the door to close. No, the path isn't blocked and yes the beam is aimed properly. I can hold the bleepin' momentary contact switch button down and close the garage door, and it opens just fine, but what I'd REALLY like to do is bypass the bleepin' sensor entirely for the time being. 'Course I imagine that the opener also has a travel resistance switch in it and it shouldn't absolutely crush anything solid in its path, but I'd put it to the test before I left it without the bleepin' optical sensor set.

Anybody know how I can wire the bleepin' thing to bypass the bleepin' sensor?

TIA 'Sporky' Charlotte, NC

Reply to
Sporkman

They can't be bypassed per UL-325. The main logic board can tell the difference between jumper wires & the photo-cells electronically. It is UL's way of making sure the photo-cells are fixed when they break. Have you changed the wiring to the photo-cells? They shouldn't keep going out & I suspect there may be a nick or short in the wiring & that is what causes them to blow frequently. Also make sure the photo-cell wires are not attached or ran up the door tracks. The tracks tend to pick up static electricity from lightning & the voltage will "jump" onto the small thin wire to the photo-cells.

Doordoc

Doordoc