Rebuilding Dewalt Batteries

Anyone have experience repairing Dewalt Batteries? I know the batteries can be rebuilt from battery shops, but it appears there are just NiCad or H cells soldered together. Any thoughts on where you can get the cells, soldering tips, etc.

Reply to
kris.mayer

rbaker

I discussed rebuild with a friend of mine (I figured I could scrounge enough cells from 3 old power packs to fix up 2). He has done it before, and said not to unsolder the tabs. Cut the tabs between the cells, test each cell (good cells should still show proper voltage). Stand cells in proper positions, and solder bits of wire to tabs. Be careful with heat, as cells can be damaged.

The cells I have are "C" size. I am going to put them in a std NiCad charger, and see which take a charge.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

Thus spake Bruce & Lois Nelson:

Seems like a lot of work just to have the used cells fail soon (and they will fail soon). Just buy all new cells; they're pretty cheap.

If the cells don't have a tab, don't try to solder one on. You'll cook the seals just inside the battery ends. The shops (Batteries America, or such) will usually sell you tabbed cells or weld tabs to your cells. I like this electronics web-store for batteries:

They are usually what is called "sub-C" size. Compare them to a regular hardware-store C cell. If it's smaller, it's a sub-C.

They're like any other NiCd cell. Should charge.

Good luck,

Reply to
DaveC