Larger capacity DeWalt 14.4V Li-Ion batteries?

I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to replace the NiMH cells and re-use the battery case?

Reply to
nothanks

I don't think you'll find Li-Ion in the same sort of physical size as NiMH which are usually sub-C size in power tools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I only need to get 4 cells into the battery case so there shouldn't be a problem - question is really where to get decent cells at a sensible price

Reply to
nothanks

Wholesale quantities only:

If they will fit, you can use 4S 18650s with a BMS board like:

(plenty more searching for '4S BMS'). A new charger would be needed - for

4S it should output 16.8V. eg this is a 1A version:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

IME finding cells of decent quality that work out less than the cost of a new OEM battery is actually quite difficult.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's not super efficient, but there are Li-Ion in a size that would fit in the space of a Sub-C (which is roughly 22430 as a lithium size):

Also bear in mind one Li-ion is worth 3 NiMH in voltage terms, so some

18650s can often be fitted in the same space, if not a 1:1 replacement.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Perhaps one of the most common - so good value - Li-Ion types is the

18650. About 2500 mA.hr (some are more), and 3.7v so four should be fine. About 65 mm long and 20mm diameter.

They are used in vaping devices so made for pretty heavy use. Plenty on Ebay.

But you'll also need a new charger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And a suitable safe charger no doubt. Brian who thinks we have been round this mulberry bush before quite recently here.

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This is where some ebay batteries come from ('Ultrafire' etc):

Theo

I'm sure you could buy rubbish ones elsewhere too. usual thing applies - if it looks to be too good a price to be true, it probably is.

However, easier to get your money back from Ebay than some suppliers, if the goods are poor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm wondering whether it's worth cannibalising a laptop battery, but I don't know whether they use cells that are optimised for self-discharge (e.g) rather than having a low impedance, or whether all 18650s have similar characteristics ... ?

Reply to
nothanks

I'm fairly certain there are several different 18650s, as the stated capacity varies. And then there would be things like peak current. If that varies too, ones for a laptop would be unlikely to need a high current delivery?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ultrafire lithium batteries?

I think I've heard tales about them. I thought it was a fault, not a brand!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris