Larger capacity DeWalt 14.4V Li-Ion batteries?

I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to replace the NiMH cells and re-use the battery case?

I don't think you'll find Li-Ion in the same sort of physical size as NiMH which are usually sub-C size in power tools.
--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

I only need to get 4 cells into the battery case so there shouldn't be a problem - question is really where to get decent cells at a sensible price
On 18/10/2018 16:34, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

IME finding cells of decent quality that work out less than the cost of a new OEM battery is actually quite difficult.
--
Cheers,

John.

Perhaps one of the most common - so good value - Li-Ion types is the 18650. About 2500 mA.hr (some are more), and 3.7v so four should be fine. About 65 mm long and 20mm diameter.
They are used in vaping devices so made for pretty heavy use. Plenty on Ebay.
But you'll also need a new charger.
--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

This is where some ebay batteries come from ('Ultrafire' etc): https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wholesale-battery-reviews/18852875-recycled-grade-c-18650-batteries-from-china

I'm sure you could buy rubbish ones elsewhere too. usual thing applies - if it looks to be too good a price to be true, it probably is.
However, easier to get your money back from Ebay than some suppliers, if the goods are poor.
--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

I'm wondering whether it's worth cannibalising a laptop battery, but I don't know whether they use cells that are optimised for self-discharge (e.g) rather than having a low impedance, or whether all 18650s have similar characteristics ... ?

I'm fairly certain there are several different 18650s, as the stated capacity varies. And then there would be things like peak current. If that varies too, ones for a laptop would be unlikely to need a high current delivery?
--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

And the weight varys dramatically. I have torches with those and the best, the panasonics, are much heavier than what is supplied with the torch.

Big Clive has shown that it does.

On 18/10/2018 20:20, Theo wrote:

Ultrafire lithium batteries?
I think I've heard tales about them. I thought it was a fault, not a brand!
Andy

It's not super efficient, but there are Li-Ion in a size that would fit in the space of a Sub-C (which is roughly 22430 as a lithium size): https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/14500-16340-18350-18490-18500/keeppower-imr-18350-1200mah-10a.html
Also bear in mind one Li-ion is worth 3 NiMH in voltage terms, so some 18650s can often be fitted in the same space, if not a 1:1 replacement.
Theo
snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

https://eu.nkon.nl/ https://www.fogstar.co.uk/ https://18650.uk/
Wholesale quantities only: https://batterybro.com/
If they will fit, you can use 4S 18650s with a BMS board like: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4S-30A-14-4V-14-8V-16-8V-Current-Li-ion-Lithium-Battery-18650-BMS-Charger/32874324692.html (plenty more searching for '4S BMS'). A new charger would be needed - for 4S it should output 16.8V. eg this is a 1A version: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-8V-1A-Intelligent-Battery-Charger-For-14-4V-14-8V-Li-ion-LiPo-Battery-EU-Plug/322561996894
Theo
And a suitable safe charger no doubt. Brian who thinks we have been round this mulberry bush before quite recently here.
--
----- --