How to Replace Skil 12 Volt Batteries.

Has anyone replaced a rechargeable Skil 92927 12Volt battery or similar type sealed plastic battery? There are no visible screws to remove the batteries from the sealed casing. Where and how do I cut it up to replace the batteries, finally how do I seal it safely. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

.
Reply to
Jack CC

throw the thing away and get something with a battery case that has screws in it instead of being a welded plastic case. My dewalt gave up the ghost last year and I wasted a day cutting open the case, packing replacement sub C's back into it and then welding it with a soldering gun. Not worth it.

Reply to
JoeMorgan

A new replacement cost between $39 to $49. Can you tell me how you cut plastic casing to replace the rechargeable batteries without excessive damage and how did you welded it back. Thanks you.

Reply to
Jack CC

I've done the cutting deed with a bit of copper wire , pounded to a flat section then fastened to a weller soldering gun. The thin copper section makes a passable heated scalpel to cut the case (in my "case" it was a makita 9.6 stick pack). That allowed me access to the innards. I then used black abs pipe cement to glue the thing back together. I'd look for the thick portion of the case to make the cut if you can't find the seam that is glued in the original pack. Regarding repairing the pack, you can find replacement cells online or at most of the hobbie shops that sell electric cars/planes as they also use the same type cells. Aint gonna be a whole lot cheaper but you can have your choice of cells (and greater capacity) from quality (panasonic,sanyo) to potentially crap (no name chinese cells) Regarding joining the cells - most of the homemade guys solder tabs to em -but you have to be careful on the postive (button) side of the cells as thats where the vent (which is esily overheated) is. I freeze the cells then do a quick solder on the button. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

I bought this almost unused Skil 3-3/8" cordless circular saw for $10. It's slow, light weight and only good where you have very tight areas to work with. I might as well throw it away if I have to spend $40 for the battery pack. I dun mind spending twenty bucks or more and gain some experiences. BTW, do you think the existing charger can recharge higher capacity cells?

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate the detail information.

.
Reply to
Jack CC

What you paid does not matter, it is what it is worth that should be the deciding factor. You can have your pack rebuilt at

for $33 plus shipping and get a more powerful pack for $47 If the saw is useful and does a good job, go for it. Otherwise, buy a new saw for probably not much more and get a year or so out of the battery pack.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

information. I'd say that if the existing pack is a nickel cadmium batteries and you replace with higher capacity nicads(it would take a bit longer to charge), you're probably safe in using the existing charger. Nickel metal hydride cells require different charging dynamics. You'd probably kill the nimh cells charging them with a charger meant for the other tech. If it's a 12 v pack, you might even get by using a 12v lead acid battery with a short cord(back to the freakin cord). Then the battery would be cheaper yet but you'd need (sigh) a new charger.Worth it only if you're trying to squeeze the max out of the dollar and don't want to put value on your time. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

You and others have been very helpful. Initially I dun have the slightest idea how to start if you have not been so helpful. I will open the plastic casing with a flattening copper's tip attach to solder a gun or whatever and examine the existing battery's cells. If the costs of getting similar new cells are not expensive and the plastic casing can be resealed, I will forgo buying a new power pack. I will post the result in a week or so, as I need to finish up the repairs and painting of my garage.

Thank you :-).

.
Reply to
Jack CC

No offence please, I wish I am rich and could afford to throw that damn thing away. If I could save the forty bucks and buy almost two gallons worth of good paints I will do it. I need many more forty bucks worth paints, lumbers, a garbage disposal, a dishwasher, a range, carpets for the house and etc.

.
Reply to
Jack CC