Dewalt 12V battery and B&D 12v battery are interchangeable?

I have a DW 12v drill. I bought it at HD on a summer "special" and it was $99 comes with the drill, two battery packs and a 1 hour charger.

Now two years later the batteries are about to die. One will work for may be 15 minutes after fully charged the other would not even charge just blinks real fast.

I have looked into getting these rebuilt. Looking at the prices the average price to get one rebuilt is about $45-50. Getting two rebuilt will be $100 plus shipping in some cases, which is about the price of a brand new drill set that I may be able to get from $99 to $139...

So question is whether it's better to rebuild them or just get new drill/batteries.

Then I ran into one article that briefly talked about 12V Dewalt batteries and B&D batteries are interchangeable. Not the same, but interchangeable? and the B&D ones are much cheaper?

Is this true? and if so, can you charge the B&D batteries with a Dewalt 1 hour charger?

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

B&D owns DeWalt, so it makes some sense. Call a local service center and ask one of the techs - they'll know for sure.

RicodJour

I have B&D and DeWalt 18V drills and the batteries do NOT fit each other's chargers. The outer cases are similar, but not the part that plugs into the charger. Other models may be different.

If they are both NiCd or NiMh batteries, you can use the other charger with the appropriate jumper cables. Keep an eye on things the first time. If the battery pack gets hot, something is wrong!

I thought my B&D batteries were dying at one point - wouldn't hold a charge. Turns out it was the AC wall-wart that was dying, not the batteries. Got an appropriate wart at the surplus store, cut and spliced the wires, and everything is good.

Red

Reply to
red

If you check out

you'll find that the rebuilt is of better quality than the original cells. I don't know the ratings of the B & D, but chances are they are less than the DeWalt and will not last as long.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"MiamiCuse" <

Have the same problem with a DeWalt 12V VSR drill I bought in 1997. In 2005 I got one rebuilt locally as a test..$ 40. I charged it up& left it in the case over the Winter when we go south. In the Spring, it wouldn&#39;t take a charge..took it back to the rebuild battery place.. 5 months later..NO JOY.."90 day Warranty" BAH !!

Anyway, I ve bought the WHOLE DeW 12V drill kit twice since for $ 60 or $

89..to get Two batteries. The FIRST drill is still working fine @ 12 yrs old and an example of how the newer ones are more cheaply built, so I have ended up with 3 drills (2 never used) and 3 chargers. The cheapest I ve ever found the Batts are $ 45.00

DONT ASK how long my (substitute) 18V Ryobi batteries last ! BAH II !

Reply to
Rudy