Dewalt 18 volt battery replacement(s)?

Hey all,

My kit had two batt's. One lasted a year, and slowly died, now only taking about a 2 minute charge. The other is on year 3 and going downhill.

Looking at deals on the net, I found Grizzly still has the two XRPs for (99.00) cheep, but pictures the XR+, which is I believe the older battery. But aside from older, don't know if the ratings (MaH) are the same or what the differences are. Are the batt's actually labeled XRP better than the XR+ batts? Dewalt site doesn't make it clear.

Then there are companies that will rebuild for 35.00 + shipping to. Anyone happy with the results having used this kind of service? Who done ya right?

Suggestions? Is this a faq?

thanks,

/..

Reply to
/..

I had my two 12v Milwaukee batteries rebuilt about a year ago. They work fine and hold a charge at least as good as when the batteries were new. There's no reason not to have the batteries rebuilt instead of buying new unless you can buy new batteries with a better type of storage technology.

Reply to
Upscale

I never knew batteries could be rebuilt. Just purchsed a 15.6 panosonic drill because two new 18 V dewalt batteries were as much as a new drill with 2 batteries and charger. Where does one get batteries rebuilt?

Reply to
henry

They do an excellent job on the DeWalt 18v batteries. They come back stronger, with more depth, than when new ... and for about half the price of a new one last time I checked.

Reply to
Swingman

I saw Saturday that the driveway is in on Amherst. Kim and I were in Montrose that morning and drove by. It looked like your shop was closed. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Well, they still have current auctions on eBay. Don't know where Amherst and Montrose are, but their printable order form has an address in Bedford, PA.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

I was out doing what every Dad dreads ... buying a car for youngest daughter. What I wanted for her was an army deuce-and-a-half, but that somehow didn't go over... fingers are now getting used to being crossed.

Reply to
Swingman

She'll be fine. :~)

Reply to
Leon

I ran into the same thing with my DeWalt 18v cordless drill, though it took about 5 years. My solution was to get the worksite radio when it went on sale. It came with the replacement battery (XRP) I needed, and ran about $120. The upside (at least the way I chose to look at it) was that I got a really nice radio for $30. The new one has enough oomph to go for about 8 hours driving deck screws or hanging sheetrock, and the old one has just enough life to last long enough for the new one to charge fully.

Of course, whether or not it'd work for you depends on what tool(s) you've got, and how heavily you're using them.

about a 2 minute charge. The other is on year 3 and going downhill.

Reply to
jessek

I did the same thing with the flashlight kit last year. Nice flashlight for not much money, all things considered. And unlike the rest of the ones kicking around the house that the kids get to play with, I've usually got a charged battery for it.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

I just posted a new Battery post that addresses your dead battery problem

Reply to
henry

I tried them and had a rebuild done on one of my 6 yr old DW 12V batts. $

35 and it lasted 6 months.. Will not charge at all now. NG
Reply to
Rudy

6 months? I had my two Milwaukee batteries rebuilt 4 years ago and they're still working just like new.
Reply to
Upscale

By Sun, 21 May 2006 21:04:16 -0500, "Swingman" decided to post "Re: Dewalt 18 volt battery replacement(s)?" to rec.woodworking:

Sorry, not sure how this applies to the thread? Where is Amherst and why does it matter?

As far as your youngest daughter...:) Be afraid, be very afraid. Transpo leads to dating, which leads to single-parenthood directly, followed by a career as a showgirl, and so forth. It's totally likely.

What every girl needs is a Porsche. There is no substitute.

Oh well.

/..

Reply to
/..

By Fri, 26 May 2006 05:06:50 -0400, "Upscale" decided to post "Re: Dewalt 18 volt battery replacement(s)?" to rec.woodworking:

It would be good to know the names of the companies each of you guys used to better compare them: if the same company, maybe they're inconsistent or have improved since Rudy used the service?

Thanks,

/..

Reply to
/..

I've nothing but excellent results with their rebuilding/upgrade service, particularly with DeWalt 18v batteries.

Reply to
Swingman