Ridgid -> DeWalt Battery Adapter

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt and vice-versa.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:45:49 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

There's probably too many infringement problems for that to happen.

Reply to
Dave

The only motive for that is to make a profit. I don't see much of a profit in providing such an adapter considering the potential number of combinations.

If your batteries die, get a good rebuild and have better than new in most cases.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What I'd like to see is someone rebuilding the older batteries with the newer and lighter Li-ion technology.

Reply to
Dave

Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh. Also the cell voltage is different.

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

You will see a reload of the lithium with lithium.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Better yet, get all mfgrs to standardize the battery pack interface.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They already do... on the inside anyway. The manufacturers of power tools are unlikely to manufacture batteries as well. Those are bought from the battery makers.

The battery case is just a hollow container there to allow the batteries to be removable. That's a much better setup than batteries wired-in.

I've had my Ryobi 9 and 12 volt drill batteries rebuilt - using Nimh cells. I _think_ they were originally NiCad. Nice increase in run-time as a result.

Reply to
Richard

Yeah, that is incorrect. AAMOF you can plug any Festool battery that will fit into a current Festool Charger regaudless of chemical makeup or voltage.

> You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

This link leads to batteries with same cases and diferent chemical make up batteries that will all fit the same tool and charger.

Leon

The smart chargers most manufacturers use today depend on heat sensors built into their battery packs to determine optimum charging times. That's one of the reasons the cheap tools, like HF, all have low-amp chargers that must be manually disconnected after a time, or risk frying either the battery or charger. If you wanted to use a plain charger with no logic control, and take responsibility for correct charging cycle time and polarity yourself, you could always get a power wart of adequate voltage and current capacity and attach a set of alligator clips. Doubtful you would get the same battery life as the dedicated charger provides though.

Reply to
Larry W

That may be true of festool. I doubt they use a stupid charge technology.

I have computerized chargers for my lithium and lipo batteries, the lithium ion and lithium poly invalidated my old computerized chargers used for nicad, and nimh.

What festool probably has is a computer chip that senses voltage and is working off that for charge, for nicad and nimh it is probably either shutting off based on a curve, when the battery starts taking less amperage.

For lithium ion and poly it probably uses a different set of criteria. Not like your Rigid, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Milwakee, or Royobi... Which probably don't have the sophistication built into the charger.

BTW the more advanced lithium batteries prevent you from deep discharge. The lesser batteries don't.

Temperature is not a great way to st> >> Can't be done.

tiredofspam

There is a plan to do just that. The tool manufacturers have agreed to use a universal battery pack staring the day after printer manufacturers standardize on ink cartridges. They all agreed they now make too much profit from selling replacement packs so they are petitioning the government for $10 billion funding for the design work and charger replacements Obama calls is the Cash for Chargers program. Trade in your old style charger and buy a new one with two battery packs and you get a coupon for a free Chevy Volt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Battery not included ...

Reply to
Swingman

What a fantastic plan! I'd happily trade in an old style charger (my Ryobi 14.4 and two dead batts) for an EV. Oh, wait, you said Chebby? Uh, wull, OK, even then.

I'll bet I could trade it for 1.5 Festools.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I _knew_ it was too bad to be true...

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That was Johnnie Carson's old line.

Brings back memories...