Efficient DIY: Replace faulty radiator valve head (2023 Update)

I'm very confused to the different types of valves and heads, please can someone help? The temperatue control for one radiator at home stopped working. The plastic head is faulty and won't twist open or closed anymore. I've take it off and the pin in the valve functions fine, and the radiatior is thankfully now on full blast! So it seems like I just need to order a replacement plastic head but I don't know where to start. Can I just get any old one? They seem to be different sizes? The one I've got says "Lifestyle" and on the side, "0906". All the numbers are Roman. I can't find the same type on the internet so I wonder can I just get any old one that looks the same? Will it fit and work properly? What do I need to look for? Thank you community!!

Reply to
sam

When it comes to replacing the head on a radiator valve, there are a few things to consider to ensure that you get the right replacement.

First, you'll need to measure the size of the valve stem to determine the size of the replacement head. The valve stem is the metal part that the head attaches to, and it typically has a diameter of either 6mm or 8mm.

You should also check the type of valve you have, as there are two main types: lock shield valves and thermostatic valves. A lock shield valve has a single adjustment for controlling the flow of water to the radiator, while a thermostatic valve has two adjustments, one for controlling the flow of water and one for controlling the temperature.

In your case, it seems you have a thermostatic valve, as you are mentioning it has a temperature control and a plastic head that is faulty.

Once you have determined the size and type of valve you have, you can start looking for replacement heads. Be sure to look for a head that is compatible with your specific valve and has the same size valve stem. You should also check the brand and model of the valve and match it with the replacement head.

It's important to note that Lifestyle 0906 is not a brand or model, it is just a reference number, so it's best to check the valve and the head for more information about the brand and model, and compare it with the replacement head you are looking for.

It's always best to consult with a professional plumber or a supplier to ensure that you select the right replacement head for your valve and that it will fit and work properly.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

To replace the head on a radiator valve, you will need the following tools:

• Adjustable wrench or pipe wrench to remove the old head from the valve stem • Adjustable pliers to remove the pin if the head is stuck • A new replacement head that is compatible with your valve • A screwdriver to attach the new head to the valve stem • A level to ensure the head is installed straight • A pipe cutter or hacksaw to trim the pipe if necessary • Teflon tape or pipe dope to seal the connection between the head and the valve stem • A radiator bleed key to release any trapped air in the system after installation. It's always best to have these tools on hand before starting the job, as you may need them to complete the installation properly. Please note that this list is general and you may need additional tools depending on the specific of the installation.
Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor