TAXON Phrag kovachii articles

As noted in today's OGD there's a move afoot to change Phrag kovachii to Phrag peruvianum. The comments can be found here in .pdf. They are free.

?

Quoted from the OGD:

It has been brought to my attention that there is an active proposal to eliminate the name Phragmipedium kovachii by suppressing the Selbyana Supplement it was published in on the basis of the illegal backstory.

  1. The proposal: TAXON 55(4):1055-1056. 2006 (Nov).

  1. Rebuttal by William Anderson: TAXON 56(2). 2007 (May).

  2. Rebuttal by Wesley Higgins and David Benzing: TAXON 56(3). 2007 (Aug).

Eric Christenson

Reply to
K Barrett

Kathy,

That website is organized poorly - too much "drilling down" to get to what you want!

Here are the relevant URLs for those not into exploring. Click the big "PDF" button on each page to view the content.

1) The Proposal: TAXON 55(4)

2) Rebuttal by William Anderson: TAXON 56(2)

3) Rebuttal by Wesley Higgins and David Benzing: TAXON 56(3)

(ps. I love how the PDF sizes are to the 10th decimal place!)

-Eric

Reply to
Eric Hunt

So Eric, which side of the argument are you on?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Varigos

Just my two cents & free too! No one is above the law!!!!!! This is one time I agree with a change to Phrag peruvianum. Cheers Wendy

Reply to
Wendy7

John,

Guido Braem made similar arguments way back when the court judgment requiring Selby to make every effort to overturn the kovatchii name was released. My loose recollection of the point Guido made was something along the lines that US courts can order international scientific bodies to do whatever they want and the scientific body is free to ignore the court.

-Eric

John Varigos wrote:

Reply to
Eric Hunt