FWW articles

I finally got the FWW with the bandsaw article from the library. While I agree that something is fishy, it's not the only one.

In another article, the author mixes Zinsser white and orange shellac to put on pine, and then mixes three different oil based stains with linseed oil and mineral spirits to get the final color he wants. Finally, he topcoats with varnish because "poly won't stick to the shellac."

Has he never heard of dewaxed shellac? And I'd bet I could duplicate the color he's after by simply mixing a little brown mahogany dye with Zinsser Sealcoat. I know I've matched alder with a weak mix of the same. I'd also bet that the oil stains and varnish don't stick to waxy shellac very well either.

And in a third article, the author again used Zinsser shellac but topcoated it with, you guessed it, poly. Didn't read the second article, obviously :-).

Three bad articles in one issue. Is this the record?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It is not a matter of overall color; he is trying to control the color of various parts of the grain and to add depth to the finish. Personally I can't see it, but perhaps he can.

I read a book by a Nobel Prize Laureate who advised the reader not to feel bad if he can't grasp quantum mechanics intuitively, as the author can't either. In fact, he suspects that anyone who says they can is deluding themselves. It may (or may not be) the same with those who require 4 stains to achieve the desire effect.

Reply to
Toller

Likely not.

Reply to
Charlie Self

That was probably Richard Feynman. I seem to remember him saying something like "Don't worry if you don't understand it; NOBODY understands it."

RIP, that fine old scientist.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Actually, there was a letter and response to the last of the above in the last issue. Might check it out, but basically it says her experience is long and positive w/ the finish she describes...

Finishing is one thing where everybody has even more than one...I personally wouldn't rate either of these articles as "bad", just "different strokes".

$0.02, etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

He was far more than a scientist and he never bought into old, keeping his child's sense of curiosity and wonder. I hear he was pretty decent bongo player too. Amazing human being. Sure could use more Feynmans.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb