Subject Author Posted Replies

Can anyone recommend a Glasstop stove? Not the right name I'm sure but....
I'm looking for a new stove top. The kind I want is where the entire surface is smooth glass & no visible burners. I want the one where it actually gets hot and doesn't rely on the pot/pan to be made...
21
21

Pressure Balanced Pex Home Run Manifold?
I was watching one of the varieties of the Holmes On The Range shows. Mike was literally gushing over the Pex home run manifold that had been installed by his plumber. I gotta admit, it was pretty...
3
3

never knew there was/is another filter in my 37 yr old central heating unit (in
i moved into this house in 1996 (it was built in 1976). The air conditioning unit is outside and the heating unit in attic. It has the vents in attic that lead to my three bedrooms, two baths, living...
8
8

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?
The wife said the dryer was sparking "in the back". I moved things around, but didn't see anything so I tell the wife not to worry. A week later, I turn on the 220v 3-wire dryer, and a single bright...
332
332

When to replace shingles?
We have been in our present home almost ten years and see no obvious problems with the roof, except that there seems to be an enormous amount of grit in the gutters. We have no idea when the current...
26
26

The march towards Corporate Communism
No more individual ownership . . . the corporations will own all: You can't buy a battery for the new Renault Zoe. Instead, you have to rent it. And if you stop making payments, the battery's DRM will...
14
14

OT: Steam Shovel Terminology
There's a big construction project going on below my office window. Right n ow, they're digging dirt at one end of the area and trucking it over to the construction site to level the ground. My friend...
23
23

Roller shade I do not want it to lock
When I pull down on a roller shade by giving it a tug it will lock in place . For a project I am involved in I do not want it to lock. I want the sprin g tension all the there a way to convert a...
14
14

What's involved in? 220 volt socket
I lost the thread, but someone still confused. Here is the original text, we're commenting: > >> You just need one of these. A 4 wire dryer cord with a 3 wire >> receptacle on it. >> >> > > Be aware...
36
36

Frost Proof Sillcock Froze and Split
I was watching one of the various varieties of the Holmes On Homes/Holmes Inspection/Holmes Makes It Right/Holmes For The Holidays/Holmes Is Where The Heart Is/etc. shows last night. They showed one...
54
54

Dishwasher - don't rinse first?
Have seen lately publicity for new dishwashers that actually WANT the user to not rinse off particlate matter before placing item in DW. They seem to claim that the DW is actually DESIGNED to work...
81
81

Storing a mini-fridge in an unheated shed?
Are there any issues with storing a 3.2 cu-ft mini-fridge in a unheated shed? Temp may get as low as zero-ish on the coldest days. No ice maker or anything like that on the unit. Thanks!
18
18

Unused dishwasher
I think I read somewhere that a dishwasher left unused for several years would probably leak if it was used. Is that correct?
4
4

Trex or ? for outdoor front steps and landing....
I'm late to doing pre-winter projects, but gotta do something. Our front entry currently has wood steps and landing with redwood/yuck colored stain. Appears sound and in good condition. It is on the...
1
1

One vs Two piece toilet
I'm in the market for a new toilet, but can't decide which to buy, a one piece or two piece unit. Does one have any advantages over the other? All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks, Freckles
5
5