Subject Author Posted Replies

Toilet tales
There was something similar to this on Ask This Old House recently, but I don't remember why it happened. The solution was to replace the flush valve on the offending toilet and the problem was...
10
10

Home repair joke
Do you heard about the newlyweds who confused a jar of window caulk for a jar a Vaseline jelly? (scroll down for the groaner) all their windows fell out
3
3

Is Kohler out to get a few extra bucks out of us?
Many years ago I worked with my step-father remodeling kitchens. From my experience, you are the rarity that needs the extra long clips. Why should they make the rest of us pay for them if we don't...
2
2

OT: ReStore For Home/Business Supplies (and tools)
Most larger towns have these, and you can get some excellent buys from salvage and donations. (Recently picked-up and old Craftsman 3/8" VSR (maybe '80's vintage) $5...repaired cord, done!)

Sewer inspection camera--------Chinese supplier
Can you give a link? I'm looking for a bore scope I can use on gun barrels... they can get up to ~$300 for a basic kit - various lenses cost another chunk of change. Thanks.
4
4

Adding a hoist to my garage ceiling. How much weight can I safely hoist?
I want to put an electric hoist in my garage in order to hoist a fifth wheel hitch onto the bed of my pickup. How can I determine how much weight my ceiling beams can handle?
21
21

Solar Advice
I was looking into solar panels. After four presentations what I have surmised is the following: 1. Avoid micro-inverters. There is a theoretical advantage but you introduce 15-25 potential points of...
17
17

What are High Voltage shunt capacitors for?
While I know a lot about electricity and home/business wiring, when it comes to power distribution, I am not all that familiar. These giant capacitors are used in power distribution, but what do they...
3
3

rage against remotes
My 3 year old JVC TV remote became erratic; i.e., sometimes took several pushes before the TV would respond. I changed the batteries (twice), same thing so I figured the remote was shot and bought an...
7
7

are newer furnaces more efficient?
A friend has a house in the mountains. No A.C. The furnace is as old as the house, probably 1965 or 1970. Are new furnaces more efficient in their use of natural gas, and thus "pay for themselves"? If...
52
52

Using A Not-Correct Sparkplug in Snowblower ?
Hello, Can't get snowblower going, and think it needs a new sparkplug, perhaps. Thought I had a replacement spark plug for snowblower, but apperently do not. Have a new one for the Lawnmower, though....
39
39

How to minimize voltage drop caused by heavy machine?
Sounds like you're doing construction. How about a long heavy duty extension cord for the scanner until you get to a circuit not affected by the saw. Or, find a receptacle possibly closer to you for...
74
74

cocoa
OT for ahr. I bought a big chocolate bar recently, store brand, nothing embossed in the chocolate but a few grid lines, and on the label it says "Sustainably sourced cocoa". Are there cocoa mines? Are...
24
24

Something to discuss while watching the Superbowl (What is a MANHOLE?)
Sunday is the Superbowl. While watching the game, and emptying beer cans, you might need something to discuss with the guys. Here's a suggestion..... - Choose the CORRECT Answer - ---------- What is a...
5
5

replace skin on house
I've got to replace the skin on an older wood frame house. The current skin is T111, 4x10 sheets, 1' OC. The paint failed a long time ago and the T111 has now failed in quite a few places. One of the...
2
2