Subject Author Posted Replies

1 coat of prime + 2 coats of paint?
I have always done a single coat of prime - usually I go with Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start then two coats of paint, and that worked well. Now I need to paint some exterior fascia, and soffit...
7
7

Mini-review: non-toxic paint strippers
Just wanted to report on a paint stripper I used that seems to work well. I'm stripping a light fixture that had many coats of paint on it. Did the bulk of the fixture with Citristrip, which...
4
4

Reasonable price for building a few steps?
I know every place and situation is different, just trying to figure if this is reasonable. (And someone's not pulling something over on a naive home owner). New to me house has a "sun room" built...
12
12

wire splice
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires together. What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting...
38
38

Flue extending beyond crown on a chimney
Why are so many chimneys built with the flue(so) that extend above the crown? For Looks? To improve the chimney draw? I would think the small increase in height would make little or no difference To...
10
10

Adding another switch to a relay operated light switch
Light switch in my room is operated using a relay (rated 24v-8v). It just like in the picture top "battery" is ofcourse regular power. The bottom "battery" is operated by 24V transformer. I'd like...
11
11

Need plumber & electrician
I have a friend in Bellevue who has just bought a great old craftsman house and is scheduled to move in a couple of weeks and needs several things done before she moves. Specifically she needs a...
14
14

Super-strength rust/iron remover needed
The tenants at my daughter's rental property let the bathtub faucet drip for a couple of years, building up a rusty area about 12 inches in diameter beneath the faucet, except directly under the...
21
21

Interpreting HVAC-CALC Results
I am converting my garage into a family room. Trying to figure out whether I can tap into my existing central air or if I need to go with a ductless mini-split. Did a HVAC-CALC tonight. Existing:...
1
1

Some Garmin GPS input please
I know this is offtopic, but there seems to be a quite diverse audience here. Does anyone here happen to be using either of these garmin models? The streetpilot C550, or the streetpilot C580.? I'm...
15
15

Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey. Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?
69
69

Granite & Radon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Been hearing rumblings of radon gas emisions from granite countertops and wanted to see what other people have experienced as it appears the manufactured counter top folks profess it's a great...
16
16

Possible water damage, conclusion and report back.
Thanks for all your help with my possible water damage bathroom. It's now fixed, for less than the $1,000 I told you. The guy did a lot more than caulking everything up. There were baseboard...

making gas furnace more efficient trick?
I heard that adjusting the gas valve on my standard natural gas furnace will make it more efficient. By partially closing the gas valve reduces the flame. Although the furnace would run longer, the...
33
33

Painting new prepainted downspouts ? DTM paint?
Hello I just got new gutters and downspouts installed prepainted Aluminum 30 White. I am painting the house and wanted to paint the downspouts the color of the home. I will leave the gutters white....
2
2