Subject Author Posted Replies

Thermostat - Possible to Adjust
We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat. The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees Fahrenheit....
30
30

Cleaning dryer duct
I have an apt bldg that needs some dryer ducts cleaned. I was told by one company they used high pressure, didn't say how much pressure, air to blow out the duct (some are 20 ft) I have never...
7
7

Comparing NG furnaces
Hi, best group on Usenet! I'm getting proposals on a new gas furnace to replace ancient oil burner. Looking at Coleman and Carrier & will also look at Trane. All will be highest EFU available....
4
4

paint question
I recently purchased 5 gallons (in 5 separate cans) of Behr latex paint from Home Depot. Looking back, I probably should have purchased a single 5 gallon container, but I initially felt that I would...
4
4

HVAC -- Ductless versus Central Air Upgrade ???
We're converting our 300 sq ft garage into a family room. Trying to decide between a running $2,000 worth of duct versus buying a $4,000 ductless mini-split system. My preference is to go duct and...
8
8

Slightly OT: Neighborhood foreclosures and my home repairs
{Sorry if this topic was explored here before} As I understand the local rumors, my neighborhood has just had its 4th home sold by way of foreclosure at about $50,000 USD below what I owe on my...
29
29

Soldering in tight spaces
Hi, In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across the picture. it doable or is just too tight to undertake...
20
20

Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?
DH & I are planning on remodeling our very tiny galley kitchen and adjoining family room by expanding out about 8 feet. The problem is, neither one of us has an eye for what goes together. We both...
3
3

Copper pipe epoxy relining opinions - does anyone have actual experience?
Our copper pipes are developing pinhole leaks - usual story. Got epoxy relining estimates from the big names - Ace DuraFlo, NuFlow, CuraFlo. They are similarly priced +/- 10% of each other. I...
29
29

Bosch dishwasher door hinge replacement
Model SHU9955 - due to the accidental application of excess weight to our dishwasher door when it was fully open, I believe the hinges are now slightly pranged to the point where the door will no...
1
1

Water dispenser is freezing water...
Seems like the Cold Sensor on my Water Dispenser is on the fritz... If I let it sit for a few days without getting any water from it, it will freeze the water in the cooling chamber. I have to unplug...
1
1

Stick a Pig on the Lipstick
If you ever plan to run for any political election, be sure to stick a pig on your lipstick. Doctor Manning
38
38

Home Depot Throws Away, But Won't Donate, Brand New Merchandise
I was in the tool aisle of Home Depot today and I noticed an employee on a man-lift taking stuff off of the top shelf and throwing it on the floor. It was mostly those soft tool bags (more than a...
38
38

Soap & water cleanup with oil based paint.
This is a new one for me. I've prepped my deck & I'm using Wolman Finish & Preservative to reseal it. The can says it's oil based. The warning says it contains mineral spirits. The cleanup...
2
2

anthracite boiler
My oil boiler is going and I was looking into one of these new anthracite boiler that have the duel fuel option. There is a company in my area called complete heat in NH that has these units, but I...
3
3