Subject Author Posted Replies

anthracite boiler
My oil boiler is going and I was looking into one of these new anthracite boiler that have the duel fuel option. There is a company in my area called complete heat in NH that has these units, but I...
3
3

free lumber
I've been scanning the freecycle and carigslist free areas and have found a lot of "free, must be moved" buildings. aside from a lot of labor is there a downside to recycling these building...
3
3

protecting pipes from freezing with electric heat
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler. I have a building with electric baseboard heaters. but if I...
9
9

dishwasher war!!
Wife say's dishes must be rinsed before loading in dishwasher. Husband say's get garbage off dishes and let the machine do it's job. Wife is winning. Husband rinses. Any allies on either...
17
17

Kitchen stove (oven) runs hot
OK, I'm not smart on home repair........ My oven in the kitchen stove runs around 200 degrees hotter than the knob setting. Would the most likely culprit be the oven sensor -- the 2-3 foot wire...
10
10

More in-ground pool pump woes
My motor went out on my Sta-Rite pump so I bought a new one at Warehouse Pool Supplies (WPS): put a new seal and heat sink in and it leaked so I took it out and they put in another seal and it leaked...
7
7

Broken dishwasher or just hard water?
I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom...
17
17

GFI outlet on Arc Fault protected Circuit ?
New Code here requires Arc Fault breakers on circuits in bedrooms. I haven't put one in yet as the B/rooms are unfinished so I temporarily have a regular 15A breaker in the panel to give me power...
4
4

Central A/C blows air on the 3rd floor, but barely on 2nd and 1st.
Hi, My central air unit is on the 3rd floor. When it's on, the air flow on the 3rd is tremendous and it becomes cold in a second. At the same time, the air is barely coming out on the 2nd and the...
8
8

Barn wood
I want to make some "stuff" out of old weathered wood common to my area. When you cut through the wood, though, there is a new color to the wood where it is not aged. Is there something I can apply to...
3
3

Sweating on small fittings
Hi, I'm practicing sweating 1/2" copper pipes, but I find that when sweating on small fittings, such as a coupling or an elbow, I melt the solder in the first joint when working on the second...
10
10

Computer power supply uses (NOT home repair topic)
In the days of old, I used to use a mobile CB, which sat on a (designed for it) power supply. The CB was 12 volts DC, and the power supply rectified the house power, to provide DC for the two way...
21
21

Pex plumbing
Hello again, I am continuing to gather info for the new house,this time concerning plumbing. I had been thinking about the Manablock system,basically a plastic(PVC) manifold known as a "home run"...
7
7

OT: Ike
It looks like Ike's center is over 250 mi. away, but he is pushing the water a long way. High tide not due here for a couple of more hours, but the water is at the top of our seawall. No wind to...
14
14

Wiring for a well house
I am re-wiring my well house. The previous owner had run 12/2 wire (no ground wire) from a 100 amp breaker on the service panel to a 30 amp breaker in the yard on a metal stake, then on to the pump...
9
9