"Paint your house yellow or go to jail"

So says a village council in the UK.

"A WOMAN who painted her idyllic cottage a subtle shade of blue has been ordered to repaint it bright yellow or face prosecution."

Well, yellow IS a nice color...

Reply to
HeyBub

I see several houses around here that were painted a nice yellow several years ago. Now, its "#2 yellow". When yellow fades it looks brown.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I think she should paint a big yellow hand with the middle finger sticking up on the front of her house.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Claude Hopper wrote in news:tISdnRtz2pKj65rUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

paint the hand/middle finger a dark color,THEN paint over it with a coat of yellow.

So it shows thru....

Or paint the hosue yellow,than a slightly darker yellow hand/finger.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

So are many other colors. The point is the locals appear to have established a local ordnance controlling the color of buildings in that area. There is nothing new to that. I once lived in a historical district and had to comply with colors as part of the local building code. If she wants to live in the area, then she must abide by the laws in that area.

Reply to
jmeehan

I have heard a story of a homeowner in an HOA neighborhood protesting the home painting regulations by painting the front of the house with the most-glaring large-polka-dot pattern using the two-most-unlike-eachother allowable shades of "beige" or "beige-white" or whatever the allowable color was.

Don Klipstein

Yep. In fact it's the law in Jerusalem that buildings have to be faced with stone, in keeping with the, er, something or other, of the historical city. Maybe to make it harder for the Romans to tear down?

Reply to
HeyBub

Mark Lloyd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I guess they like the piss color over in her town.

Reply to
SteffanKing

I think she can't do anything just to follow what the rules are written in the deeds. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

Jmmv08

True about that law. It's the "golden" stone that gives the city that marvelous glow when light shines on it.The modern song "Yerushalyim Shel Zahav" (Jerusalem of gold), has beautiful lyrics. It has become almost a 2nd national anthem.

Reply to
Artful Dodger

Deeds are contracts. Clauses in contracts - or even the whole thing - can be voided for any of several reasons. For example, if the contract was executed by someone who does not have the legal capacity to enter into such a contract - selling something that doesn't belong to him or a juvenile.

One of the voidable provisions of a contract is a stipulation against public policy. You can't have an enforceable contract to sell a car for "ten sexual episodes" or provide that a bit of property "will never be sold to anyone not of the white race."

I would argue that HOA rules prohibiting the display of the American Flag (Standard, Ensign, Colors, or any device showing the stars and stripes in any color or combination such that the average person perceiving same would take the representation to be that of the Flag, Standard, Ensign, or Colors of the United States) is contrary to proper public policy.

Likewise "Welcome Home Sgt Smith" placards.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good red-meat eating, gun-toting, Republican-voting, 'mericans should have absolutely no sympathy for someone who signs an agreement like that, then decides he/she doesn't like what the agreement has to say.

The should have thought about that BEFORE they signed the paper.

I can do what I want with my property, but if I sign that right away, I got no reason to complain.

Reply to
mkirsch1