Subject Author Posted Replies

Sump pump Question - No more water?
Okay, bear with me on this one..... We had a home built in 2000. The builder installed a sump pump. It used to run constantly. It failed twice (pipe came loose) and we got a little water in the...
7
7

Oxalic acid?
I have some dark water stains on my hardwood oak flooring that I would want to remove. I read here that oxalic acid is a good way to approach this. The problem is I cannot find any. At Home Depot they...
15
15

Flooding
Hi, I am Suzanna and my main problem is flooding, my husband and I wanted to renovate our house and mainly the flood we wanted to have wooden floor but we need first to stop that flooding problem it...
2
2

Another Flooring Question
I am still contemplating installing laminate wood in my kitchen. While looking at samples today, I also saw laminate ceramic tile. Has anyone installed the ceramic tile, and do you like it? I am going...

recipe to restore VOCs?
I've used a brand-name semi-trans oil stain on my redwood deck every 2 years. I'm in a semi-arid climate with not much rain, lots of sun, and cold winters. Mildew and UV damage finally showed...
10
10

Is it possible to wear through a garbage disposer housing?
Hi all: I opened the cabinet under the kitchen sink to get out the dishwashing detergent and there was a puddle of water under there. After 15 minutes of poking around, I have come to the conclusion...
7
7

Basement hot water tank (electric) heat loss; yes again!
Just to stoke up the discussion about heat loss from an electric (or gas) hot water tank/heater, versus those instant-on type, herewith some current numbers. Left the house at around 2.00 PM Thursday...
4
4

Basement Breaker Trips
This has happened for the second time in last One week . Both these days we had rain and both these adys we went to basement and did some work (usually we donot frequent basement). The breaker that...
4
4

Hardwood flooring installation - 15# felt vs red rosin paper
I've used rosin paper as underlayment on many floors. What I'd been told was that it acted as a moisture retarder rather than a moisture or vapor barrier. Recently, I was told that termites...
4
4

Adjustable wrench
Is there such a thing as a high-quality adjustable wrench? One with high enough quality that you could use it in place of a lot of ordinary wrenches, and not have it round/damage the heads of the...
12
12

Low Divided Kitchen Sinks & Cast Iron?????
We have been looking at kitchen sinks and it seems a big thing out there lately is the sinks with the low divider wall between the sections. I can see the point of this as I hate it when you place a...
12
12

Bathroom exhaust fan
Hello, We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms. A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them...
19
19

New Gatehouse doorknob problem
Hi - I'm hoping this has an easy answer, or at least an answer... I replaced our deadbolts and doorknobs on front and back doors 3 weeks ago using the Gatehouse brand from Lowes (made by Schlage)....
16
16

Refrigerator/freezer that doesn't circulate air between freezer and fridge sections
I know some people here are into appliances, so maybe someone can help me. I'm looking for a refrigerator/freezer that doesn't circulate air between freezer and fridge sections. The reason is...
9
9

Windows
Hello again all, I am confused about which windows to put in the new home I will be building soon, in the Houston Tx Reports recommends Anderson and Pella wood and vinyl clad windows,but I am unsure...
5
5