Subject Author Posted Replies

CFL Bulbs And Ceiling Fans
I recently put CFL bulbs in all my lamps, ceiling fans and light sockets. On the ceiling fans there are dimmers. When the fan lights are turned on at the dimmer and then turned all the way up, one fan...
23
23

Best wood & concrete protection for above-pond deck
Hi, This past summer I drained my fresh-water pond and built a large deck. It sits on 9 large pillars (5' of water plus 3' into bottom) and the underdeck is made of pressure-treated wood. Its...
4
4

Is there a tomorrow?
3
3

Secure locksets
Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could fairly easily defeat most household entry on another newsgroup...
19
19

OT Looks like T Boone has switched from win to natural gas
OT Looks like T Boone has switched from wind to natural gas
19
19

Flakey Power Outlets
Last night, the reading light and clock on my headboard both went out at the same time. I jiggled the extension cord plug and they momentarily came back on but would not stay on. I figured there might...
20
20

New from HUD: Rehabbing Flooded Houses
Content looks basic. e.g. be careful going into the house. OTH, it does seem to bring together information useful in the work. T
2
2

DIY backyard pond with fountain - for swimming?
hi, At my place of work they had some flowerbeds which they turned into small fountain / ponds.. They dug them up, put down liner and rocks, installed a pump then hid it, put in a drain if the water...
12
12

Sealing my underground reservoir
I am laying the blocks for my underground reservoir. This will hold water to be pumped onto my lawn during summer months. My question is, I plan to seal the inside of the reservoir so it can hold...
11
11

Gluing 4" PVC
When I attempt to glue a fitting onto a length of 4" schedule 40 PVC, the fitting tends to push back forcefully after I push it on. I worry that I will fail to advance the pipe the full distance into...
4
4

Programmable thermostat recommendation ?
Never had one before, so I have no idea what to look for. Usually I just keep the house coldish in the winter and warmish in the summer rather than running a bill up, but I may now be ready to move...
15
15

Low power consumption dehumidifiers $ave ?
I am looking for a low power consumption dehumidifier to cut costs. I seen these 2 below that use only a couple hundred watts compared to mine which uses 792 watts(30 pint). I have a 1000 Sq ft. house...
3
3

Water heater problem
Hi: Need some advice on this. We have an older mobile home, 1973. Currently on our second hot water heater, installed about 13 years ago. It is a natural gas 30 gallon unit. The temperature is set at...
19
19

Exterior filler for nail holes
What are you guys using for exterior filler on nail holes? I've been trying to use the DryDex stuff, but if I don't get to priming the holes in a suitable timeframe, the spackle seems to melts...
7
7

Two Faucets in Shower? Still Legal?
We are remodeling our bathroom and I want the "old fashioned" two faucets: one for hot and the other for cold. Both the plumber and the plumbing supply company say that two faucets have been declared...
96
96