Dixon ZTR .............

I don't have one, a neighbor got one and loves it, and the majority of commercial landscape crews use them. Key thing to remember with them is to take care of the hydrostat pumps with regular filter and fluid changes.

Reply to
Pete C.

A zero turn radius riding lawn mower two stick steer. Anyone own one? Like it? Hate it? Talk to me.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They're really the only way to go if you like getting the job done and making it look good. And don't worry about the hydrostat oil change, it only need to be done about every 500 hours. I think that's a long, long time for a homeowner. We only change them in commercial service every two years. And thats with 6 day a week use.

Steve Barker DLT

guess i should have mentioned to steer away from the dixon. it's kinda junky. look at the exmarks. If you have a really big wallet and like to go fast, dixie chopper. Fastest mower in the world.

Steve Barker DLT

I didn't mean to imply that the hydrostat oil had to be changed frequently, only that proper maintenance there is critical. The oil level should certainly be checked each time you use the mower, since if it runs out of oil and starts to suck air it can destroy the hydrostat pump in short order.

Reply to
Pete C.

BIG BIG difference between a DIXON and a DIXIE CHOPPER...

Steve Barker DLT

that's a fact jack. We've blown or otherwise damaged a hose a time or two and you can ruin a pump before you know you have a leak.

Steve Barker DLT

The Dixies are ZT, as are the SCAG and Ferris mowers, and they are found in abundance in commercial service. There are some decent consumer level units out there in various brands, but the real commercial grade units cost $10k+.

On the hydrostat oil, it's not a matter of having to change it frequently, but you do have to make sure the level is ok pretty much every time you go to use the mower. If a mouse chewed a hose while it was sitting in your shed, you could piss out the oil and trash the hydrostat pump before you knew what was going on. Hydrostats are great, but the pumps are expensive and easy to destroy if you run them dry or with contaminated oil.

Reply to
Pete C.

Huh? You post that you like them. Then you post they're junky. Wasssup with that?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I was unclear in that response. When i said "They're really the only way to go......" I meant ZTR's in general. THEN after i hit send i realized that he had mentioned Dixon, and THEN made the reply towards that .

sorry for the confusion.

PS. if you wan't a GOOD one, seriously, look at the exmark lazer Z.

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

But I thought you wrote the following re: the Dixon when Pete said to watch out for the oil levels:

I'm confused.

Will look at Dixie Chopper as well as Dixon, but I want a ZTR rider, and I want a GOOD one. Within reason, that is.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB