Subject Author Posted Replies

insulate doorknob
Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? I was thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes for the screws and latch. Wondering what other's opinions...
41
41

GFI's?
That does it. I'm taking out the GFI's and replacing them with regular plugs. I'm tired of shutting off a fan in one room and the TV, DVR and Receiver dying in another room because of a...
22
22

baseboard heater trips breaker - Bad stat?
The baseboard heat in one of the bedrooms trips the breaker as soon as I turn the thermostat on. We didn't know this until now because it didn't get cold enough to need it until now. But wait,...
35
35

How can I seal caulking cartridges?
I often find myself with half a cartridge of expensive caulking material in a cartridge. I am talking about the cartridge that has a movable bottom and a spout and fits in a ratcheting dispenser. I...
38
38

new range
If you cook with cast iron or don't have( flat) bottom pans stay away from glass top stoves

Semi-OT: Palin vs Turkey Grinder
Turkey grinder?* Ah, watch as Palin gives interview while "Deliverance" actor** does unspeakable things to turkeys in the background. "You need a bit of levity in this job..." ---------- * Like a...
5
5

Lock Shop - Old Fashioned Customer Service
Customer Service is alive and well - in some places. A youth sports organization that I am a part of bought a shed to store some equipment. One of the board members bought a lock with 2 keys, with the...
15
15

Need help installing a ceiling fan
I am trying to install a ceiling fan with lights. The fan is not new. It has 4 wires: Black White Blue Bare Copper The ceiling wiring is old. There is a white wire and a yellowish wire that completed...
9
9

GE Range Schematics???
Anybody know a place to fine schematics for older GE ranges? For some reason there's nothing on the rear panel or anywhere else on the range. Searches so far have been non-fruit bearing. :( GE...
20
20

caulk removal
we need to add new caulk to our shower floor, but the old caulk must be removed first What is the best way to do this? thanks Ken
10
10

Oil buner pressure problem
My 20 year old oil fired boier for baseboard hot water heating system is building up excess pressure. I figured that the water inlet valve (manual, not auto-fill) was bad, thereby allowing curb...
16
16

Save a little energy
In many areas the use of air conditioners is over for the season. If you have electric air conditioning and if it is not a heat pump, then it may be a good idea to turn off the power to the unit. Many...
5
5

The end of flushing toilets
How about the toilet tax in Austrailia 404: Page not found | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site
2
2

Furnace heat cycle
Little bungalow in US midwest. Heil gas furnace on it's 3rd season. Standard forced air, std install. Gen'lly works well. heat cycle: 1.) tstat calls for heat 2.) inducer fan spins 3.) igniter...
8
8

Winterize irrigation system - where to attach a compressor?
I have an irrigation system that I need to winterize. In the past I used to hire a guy who installed the sprinklers but since I already have the compressor and everything else I need, I'd rather...
9
9