Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc. The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room and board.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Kadaifi

How about $38/hr?

Reply to
Rick Brandt

None of the work needs to be done. How about he does it for nothing but I provide him with a place to live?

Reply to
Kadaifi

I would ask him what he thinks is fair, since it does include room and board. If he usually makes $38 per hour, and he's doing it for room and board. I would say a couple of hours a day would cover the room and board in fine style, and then you should pay him the rest of what you decide is a fair price.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

so why'd you ask here?

Reply to
Steve Barker

BTDT. Nothing is more permanent that a relative that moves in 'temporarily'. Only you can judge- is he out of work due to the economy, or because he is a less-than-ideal employee? Why does he have no place to live? Not trying to pre-judge your relative, but I have a few of my own that are skilled and experienced, but less than fully functional. If you are going to pay 'prevailing' (aka union scale) wages, things might be a lot more business-like if he rents a small apartment to live in, and just stashes his tools at your place, while the work is going on. If you have the space to put him up without pain, and you think the after-hours time together will be pleasant or helpful, okay, but if I was giving room and board, I wouldn't pay over 20 bucks an hour. And speaking from sad experience- don't cut him any slack on the speed or quality of the work- you would not be doing either of you any favors.

Standard disclaimer- you said you live in the northeast- some areas in that part of country are notorious about being asses about permits, and while 'owner installed' is often exempt, work done by a relative that is temporarily residing there, but paid for his work, may make their heads explode (especially if he isn't licensed). Best to research that before you start, rather than being faced with having to rip out and redo. Plus, of course, talk to your insurance agent about an appropriate rider to your household policy, for the duration of the remodeling work.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

He originally asked for a loan. I thought I'd be a nice guy and offer him some work to help him out.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Ouch. BTDT, as well. Whenever you loan money to a relative, kiss it goodbye- that way if they DO pay it back, it comes as a pleasant surprise.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I don't know. But get a contract in writing that includes the elements of a contrracting job...

And the elements of the lease.

Tell them your granfather before he died (great grandfather if your grandfather is sill alive, father if your father's not) made you promise to get things in writing.

The purpose of the contract is not to have something to fight him with later on. It's to prevent fighting. It's so that both sides will know before the job starts and while the job is going one, what their duties are and what they will get in return. Ans so both parties will know the same thing, becuase it's in writing, one copy for each, signed by both.

It doesn't mean either of you is untrustworthy, but people misunderstand, forget, and not only that, often important things are not even discussed. No one knows what was intended.

Cogito, ergo sum.

Reply to
mm

In 2-4 days he will have paid rent, you want free work from him every day? Get bids on the work, he should do it a bit cheaper and pay rent. If its not fair it wont work.

Reply to
ransley

I would pay the guy at least something. He will still have expenses other than room and board.

When he finishes the initial work, find him some other jobs, possibly with neighbors. If he does a good job, show his work off to neighbors. Incentive for him to do good work.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc. The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room and board.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
trailer

I paid an out-of-work carpenter to do some major repairs here this past fall. The rate we agreed on was $40/hr, but if I had been providing room and board I'd probably chop $10-15 off that depending on how much he eats, and how comfortable he becomes in your home. My guy was both skilled and productive, so I had no problem with the rate.

Keith

He'll steal you blind and have sex with your wife or daughter-- maybe both...

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

38 an hr, thats is union and he isnt making anything. What do locals charge now in winter. Alot are out of work and may normaly cut their price in winter. I never hire union. I think you might be near 14-18 in range and cheap rent but you need bids to compare and base prices on or the work might take 20 years.
Reply to
ransley

The reason he makes $38/hour is because he doesn't work all the available hours so he has to make extra when he does work to cover the slack times. This is a slack time for which he would normally be getting nothing anyway.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good idea about showing his work. Put *that* in the contract as well. That way you will be on the up and up if you are warning someone of a shoddy job. "Hey, I just showed them your work as we agreed". Either way, the contract that spells out everything, as already mentioned, will cover you both against forgetfulness. Tell him that too. Nothng hidden and no ill intent. If he doesn't go for it, nothing lost and a heartache saved! Chuck

Reply to
C & E

The other postssers are right. Get a contract for the work and a separate lease for the room.

Reply to
mm

Ask him. Maybe he will work for less being it is for a relative, and since work is tight. If he wants more, you'll know if he's a good relative or not.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Minimum wage

Jerry - OHIO

I'm sure pleased to hear that poplar is a popular wood!

Reply to
Clot