dryer hums and doesn't spin

I have a gas dryer model LGR4634JQ2 that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I replaced the motor and it still only hums (with or without the belt attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. The motor had a sticker that said it thermostatly controlled is there something that reglates the amount of power to the motor? or any other suggest I could try?

Krysta

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 334454 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
173green

I have a dryer that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I changed the motor #279827 and it still only hums (with or without the belt attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. ant suggests?

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 334458 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
173green

That motor was mentioned on this page:

if that's any help.

If the Start relay isn't closed, the motor shouldn't do anything/

Typical Whirlpool diagram here:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Did you try plugging the motor directly into an outlet? Attach a cord with a plug on the end to the motor, use a few wirenuts and plug it in. If it still hums, you got motor problems on BOTH motors. If it spins normally, there is a wiring or switch problem. Try this with out the belt first, then put on the belt and try again (if the motor worked the first time).

If these are capacitor motors, the caps may be bad, if problem is the motors themselves.

Reply to
Jimw

Something is not right. Just the fact that the motor starts without pushing the start button tells me there a wiring problem someplace. Remove the start switch and see if its stuck or shorted.

Reply to
Mikepier

motors hum because they don't know the words or the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding. or Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

Reply to
JohnR66

The Op did not specify if this is a 110 or 220v motor. I dont recall ever hearing of a 220 motor in a dryer, but I suppose it's possible on an electric dryer, and it could be running on 110 ???? Just a thought.

Reply to
Jimw

He posted on a seperate thread( same subject) one down from this one its a gas dryer.

Reply to
Mikepier

The thing is, she said she replaced the motor and the new one is doing it too, even with the belt not attached. Parts list for that model shows no separate capacitor or starting relay.

Either the new motor is dead in the same way as the old one, which while not impossible is pushing coincidence, or there's a problem with a part external to the motor, which likely would be the switch or wiring.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I missed that post, but then it's a 110 motor. Like I said earlier, hook the motor wires to a cord and plug it in. If it works properly, there's a wiring problem. Otherwise motor(s) are defective.

Reply to
Jimw

Is it humming or running? It's not likely to hum very long without blowing a breaker, fuse or burning up. Sounds like it's running without a belt or the drum is too hard to turn and the belt is slipping.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw