Subject Author Posted Replies

Wayne-Dalton iDrive garage door opener
We have had a Wayne-Dalton "iDrive for torsion springs" opener for a little over three years. We had problems with it initially, but W-D sent a replacement controller board and light unit. Other than...
9
9

Home Depot vs. "Real <whatever> store"
Our old wooden garage door is not in good shape. Saturday we went and had a look at the Clopay doors at the local HD and got a price including installation. In the course of conversation I said, "Why...
69
69

Can I replace my own sewer pipe?
I'm wondering what it would take to replace the section of sewer pipe from my house to the right of way. We have very sandy soil and no trees in the front yard to be concerned with. I'm...
29
29

Shut off valves for copper pipe
The previous owner did a very poor job on some plumbing in my basement. It is all copper with ball valves. The valves have green corrosion and some are starting to leak from the sweat joint. I will...
10
10

Moving Well tank, PVC or Copper?
I have a well tank in a poor location in my basement. The water line coming from the well is currently PVC. I was planning on running PVC up the wall, through the floor joists and down to the new...
13
13

Why Vacuum Relief Valves on Water Heaters
I was advised to also replace the vacuum relief valve when I recently had to replace our home's (leaking) water heater. Since the part was cheap enough and I'd never thought to replace it in...
8
8

Fastener FAQ?
Is there a FAQ somewhere that explains the various types of fasteners and terms? I am browsing around for air staplers and nailers and am perplexed by the choices... For example, what is the...
10
10

weird carpet stain
Anyone have any luck getting a presumably coffee stain out of white Berber carpet? (yeah, I know...) bought myself one of those carpet cleaning doomajiggers after I got my bonus check, and tried it...
14
14

Washing Machine drains into Shower
I have a washing machine and a shower in my basement. They are separated by a wall. When the washing machine drains the water comes up the shower drain. Most of the time it doesn't overflow and...
19
19

Roofing Minneapolis
I’m living in Minneapolis village i have a house which i want to sell. im not getting a good price for it like the houses in ST. Paul because my house needs an extensive rehab and need to remodel...
2
2

Overcoming the spring of wires in electrical boxes
Hi, What are some of the tricks for overcoming the elastic resistance of wires when putting them in electrical boxes. The obvious ones are: having larger boxes and having fewer wires. And having slack...
5
5

Using Radiator Electric Heater in Bathtub
I'm elderly and disabled. I am on a fixed income and cant afford much. To save on costly fuel I keep the house temperature set to 45 deg. That's as low as the thermustat goes. Because it cold...
17
17

caliClothes Dryer Not Working Properly
I have an "Estate" Dryer. I think it is made by Whirlpool or one of the big companies. It is probably 15 - 20 years old. I would like to get a few more years out of it if I can. I haven't had a...
4
4

Are there NEC restrictions on circuit location?
Happy Holidays! What does the NEC say about running a circuit from a single breaker to "unrelated" locations of a house? For example, let's say I want to add a receptacle in the 1st floor family...
21
21

Furnace running with thermostat off
Hello all, I have a problem with my gas furnace. Last night my furnace would not stop running even after the desired temperature had been reached. I finial decided to turn it off from the thermostat...
27
27