Check my arithmetic.

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1 kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

Reply to
Joe Beda

1 kilowatt-hour

per kilowatt-hour

Math right, terminology wrong.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote: ...

/pedant

Not "terminology"; "units"

pedant/

--

Reply to
dpb

Sounds right and that is around $7.20 a month. It adds up pretty quickly when you have 7 bucks here and 7 bucks there..

Reply to
gfretwell

Feeling particularly A-R today, are you?

Reply to
Doug Miller

You can kill more than seven bucks here:

HeyBub

It cost a penny per hour at $.10 Using Google......1 month in hours=

month = 730.484398 hours x .01 = $7.30 a month

Google has some powerful conversion features.

Reply to
metspitzer

metspitzer wrote: ...

And exactly _which_ month is it that has that odd 29 min and 3.83... seconds in it??? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178 KWH.

Reply to
ransley

you are correct. don't forget all the taxes and use fees they add in. the only way to find your TRUE rate per kilowatt/hour is to divide your TOTAL bill by the number of Kw/hours used. Never mind what they SAY the rate is.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 2/23/2009 11:44 AM HeyBub spake thus:

HeyBub, you owe me that last 10 minutes of my life back. (I have dialup.)

Rating: pretty dang easy (I'm not a video-game player and I managed to shoot almost all them bucks). Oh, and the music sucks. (But whaddya want for free?)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Good point. I really didn't consider that. I was just trying to show off Google's conversion features.

Reply to
metspitzer

hehe. That would be ME. Im at 0.08 per Kwh Nat Gas is 1.24

You can check out the averages here for electric

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Well, they all kinda do.

Twenty-nine-plus minutes per month = about 6 hours per year and, in four years, that's about a full day, which is accounted for by a leap year.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sorta'... :)

But in my defense I'll note that the two units are fundamentally different, not just "terminology" (another word for the same thing)...

--

Reply to
dpb

It comes from leap year: 400 years (4800 months) have 97 leap years (every 4, except (divisible by 100 and not divisible by 400)) and 303 non-leap years. 303*365 + 97*366 = 146097 days, *24 = 3506328 hours. Divide by 4800 to get 730.485 hours/month.

Google's number may include leap seconds or other correction I didn't have above.

Of course, anything that requires evaluating the savings over a 400 year horizon just might turn out to not be cost effective :-)

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Of course.

I simply pointed out it isn't _any_ one month (and note the :) ).

--

Reply to
dpb

With taxes, final bill amount, dividing KWH by amount owed?

Reply to
ransley

What's another word for thesaurus?

Reply to
Evan Platt

Where? It doesn't seem to be above about $.12 in the midwest according the the chart the other poster provided.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake