Appliance Bulb Filament Continuity

The light in my GE microwave quit coming on so after pulling the case apart to get at it (great design, guys!), the filament of this 25 watt plug in bulb looks intact. However, a meter across the two male terminal spades shows no continuity.

There's power at the connector supplying the light when the door is open or the oven is running-- so that's not the problem. Could the bulb be bad even when it shows continuity?

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

Make that ...NO continuity....

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

bad bulb ........

Reply to
bob haller

yes, NO continuity mean bad bulb. duh.

Reply to
Steve Barker

*NO continuity equals a broken filament. Replace the bulb.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Happens often Spend the 2 bucks for a new one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Anything is possible. Is there proper voltage across bulb socket when door is open?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Bulbs have a built in fusible link in the base. The filament can look fine and the bulb not work.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Could be, but I'm pretty sure that ALL bulbs don't use a fusable link in the base.

Sometimes the filament will open right where it's welded to a feed wire and stay in position so it looks like it's continuous. Giving the bulb a flick with your finger while observing the filament will let you see it it jump away from the feed wire momentarily.

BTW, the fusable link was/is placed in some bulbs to avoid popping a breaker or fuse if the bulb goes into a "tungsten arc" mode when the filament opens. That arc can cause the bulb to draw MUCH more than it's rated current. If you've ever flicked on a light switch and had the bulb give one VERY bright flash and then go dark, you've witnessed a tungsten arc.

As you've been told already, try a new bulb.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You are asking if a burned-out bulb is bad? This is why I don't believe in evolution.

If you stick it in another (more portable) lamp and flick it with your fingernail while it is on sometimes the filament will reconnect and weld itself back in place. This, of course, works better with DC than with AC. I have fixed many incandesant bulbs this way.

Reply to
Ulysses

OK guys-- off to the appliance parts store. I'll post back later...

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

Better reread the OP a bit more carefully and The Origin of the Species too ;-)

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

Parts guy was stumped by the intact filament/no continuity too (see Van's post). But I decided to try a new bulb (for $11.24.

It shows continuity.....and works. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

Charlie Darwin wrote: ...

Might "otter" check on the title of the work...

--

Reply to
dpb

Charlie Darwin wrote: ...

Just because you the break was visible doesn't (obviously) imply it was/is intact. Nor, of course, that the fault could be at the connection of one end of the filament to the base, etc., ...

When it doesn't light and measures open, it's pretty clear it's defective.

--

Reply to
dpb

What is so special about the bulb that they can get that price? You can probably find it cheaper on the internet but then the S&H would be $10.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you flick the bulb with your finger, you may see the filament vibrate, usually only on one side of the break.

What happens when you touch the meter leads to each other?

Reply to
mm

What an imaginative work of fiction!

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I just had an auto light like that. The problem was not inside the glass, but between the glass and the mount. That is quite high for a bulb.

Continuity means it should work. No continuity means it is broken. End of story.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

The filament is circular going around the circumference of the glass and is supported by 5-6 separate wire posts -- each topped with a loop to support/lock the filament wire.

When touching the meter leads together-- the needle deflects all the way showing continuity.

Reply to
Charlie Darwin