Subject Author Posted Replies

Marking tools for easy readability
As I get older, even with new glasses, I find it harder and harder to see things like the engraved markings on socket wrenches. Has anyone found a way to mark these things so that they can be read in...
72
72

Weatherproofing tips
I have an old 1941 brick Cape Cod house that has never been insulated properly. I've replaced the incredibly drafty multi-pane lead sash weight windows with double-paned Andersens and have been...
12
12

Drain pipe lining
Just got a notice from the county that they will be "lining" old drain pipes in the street rather than digging them up and replacing them. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons? I assume this is a...
16
16

Drum, flow-through or mist humidifier?
We're going to have a whole-house humidifier installed. We don't want to go through another winter with cracked skin and static electricity. We have a 1970's-era two story house of perhaps...
6
6

OT - Dodge Acronym
Ford: Fix or Repair Daily / Found on Road Dead GMC: Got Mechanic Coming. Is there one for Dodge?
32
32

Freezer gasket repair
Any chance of doing this? I can't believe it's over $80 for a gasket. My side-by-side has a bad section of gasket at the bottom of the freezer. I'm looking around for gasket by the foot,...
7
7

Stanley Works to Buy Black & Decker
Just an FYI if you haven't heard already. So I guess Stanly gets all this now? The Black & Decker Corporation markets its name under various brands: * DeWalt Power Tools * Porter Cable * Delta...
3
3

heater guy says replace furnace/AC
When can these things be repaired, versus being replaced? Forced-air gas heater didn't seem to be sending up any heat today, so I cycled it a bunch of times, then finally descended to the 10x10...
46
46

Score one for top loading washers
How would you like to pay top dollar for a new washing machine - only to have it stink up your laundry room? It's happening to lots of people who have a front-loading washer. KOMO News Problem...
32
32

Insulating block wall garage
Part of my garage was going to be below grade so to make things easy, we did the whole 1st floor block. Now I'm really regretting it due to high heating and cooling costs. My original plans were...
10
10

HVAC Question
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro- something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of...
19
19

Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?
Our 55 year-old house still runs on fuses . We have never upgraded to a circuit breaker . We hardly ever blow fuses (it's been years actually). We even run our heater and air conditioner off an...
65
65

Oily smell from gas furnace/AC
Late last August we noticed an oily smell coming from the central AC. It is even worse now that heating is on. The furnace is gas, high efficiency, and was checked by a furnace repair person. The CO...
5
5

Electrician question
This is a true story. My cousin is licensed electrician who does mostly residential work. He is coming over to connect 4 home runs into the panel. I've got all the arc-fault breakers. The home...
26
26

Whole house surge protectors
I'd like to install a whole house surge protector. Using the GoogleWeb, there appears to be a variety of types with all sorts of prices. I really don't care about the price as long as it's...
8
8