Subject Author Posted Replies

Whole house surge protectors
I'd like to install a whole house surge protector. Using the GoogleWeb, there appears to be a variety of types with all sorts of prices. I really don't care about the price as long as it's worth it....
8
8

Refrigerator freezer door sometimes opened .5 inch. How to "lock" closed?
Someone goes into the freezer (part of refrig), "closes" the door, leaves the room, etc. Too much stuff in freezer, or not correctly arranged, or whatever -- of course door doesn't close 100%, or does...
7
7

Help with correct furnace exhaust PVC
My furnace stopped working, it had some read-outs saying the exhaust was not working. Turns out the exhaust pipe was full of water and filled the exhaust fan with water. I cleaned all of this out, but...
19
19

ELECTRONIC OIL BURNER CONTROL BOX
A couple of weeks ago, I asked if anyone knew if the latest Honeywell L7224U oil burner control box would hold its memory during a power failure. Well, I installed the box today, and I can now report...
2
2

Roof gutter issue
I saw an ad on TV for "Austin Gutter King" where they took the shingles and picked them up to slide a gutter-guard in. It sticks out far enough to block leafs from getting in the gutter. I've seen...
2
2

Kitchen Remodel
I want to remodel a kitchen that has too much cabinet space for the size the home is. It's a 2/2 (total sf 1200 or less) and has cabinets enough for a 4/2 home. Is there a good way to cut down on the...
10
10

Odd wiring in 20 year home (another wtf) - return/white grounded in switch box???
I'm in the process of replacing a bathroom vent with light. I mean, how hard can it be? :) In so doing, I have encountered some wiring that has me puzzled as to safety and function. What caught my...
9
9

GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)
(I'm clueless about electricity... actually it sort of scares me, so this is all Greek to me). Question - I'm in the process of selling an older(1950's) home. The home inspection was Friday, and I got...
66
66

Shower Base
Will be tiling shower walls and am considering using either an acylic (Amertech) base or a solid surface base such as Swanstone. Any other ideas, or opinions on these? Will not use tiles on floor...
2
2

Analog clock...setting time
As a force of habit I have been resetting the clocks around the house by only moving the hands clockwise. Somewhere along the line I was told a clock could be damaged if you moved the hands backwards....
24
24

Flourescent shop lights
I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this...
8
8

Cracks in Plaster Due to Very Cold Temperatures
I think this theory is incorrect. My GF is selling her mother's house and is reluctant to shut down the heat and drain the pipes over the winter. (We live in the Northeast.) She was told by an...
10
10

Shop tools
I saw it HERE about 3 months ago.
9
9

DO_IT_MY_SELF_GASKETS for shower with 4 foot arm
I have a 50 year old Shower with the shower head at the end of movable 4 foot arm. There are two movable joints which are leaking and spraying water everywhere except out the shower head. Replacement...
2
2

FYI: "Lights of America" LED bulbs -- Costco refunding purchase price
We got a letter from Costco today inviting us to return the "Lights of America" LED bulbs we had purchased because they do not live up to the claimed life of 20K hours. Four different SKUs are listed....
9
9