Subject Author Posted Replies

Replace doorbell
Am about to replace hideous doorbell. AFAIK, I just have to unscrew tthe old one and attach the new one to the wires. BUT - how do I know which "breaker" as they used to call them, controls the...
33
33

OT: Car batteries
Hey, you guys - if anybody would know, you would! I think I've been had by my nabe mechanic. Would appreciate your wisdom about battery brands and prices. My battery (2-1/2 years old ) went out....
39
39

Speaking of bathroom exhaust fans
I have one in my current house. Having at one point developed surface mold/mildew in my last bathroom, I'm being careful to try to remember to use the fan. Questions - how long should it run?...
12
12

OT: What happens after car is stolen?
Mine was stolen 2 days ago. Police report was made. Haven't placed a claim with insurance. I know there's a chance I'll never hear anything. Had one stolen in '78, still got the title....
22
22

Installing exterior insualtion
I will be building addition for my old house and replacing siding. I am leaning towards fiber cement or cedar siding. My house currently has no house wrap. I want to install exterior foam insulation...
5
5

Refinishing a leather top table
Hello. I have a leather top coffee table that needs to be refinished. Is it possible to do it with out messing up the leather? It seems to me the stripper, no matter how mild, would still be able to...
4
4

HELP: weatherstripping - door jamb problem
My wooden entranceway door jambs have a kerf to accept the weatherstripping. But the kerf seems too large (1/4") and the weatherstripping doesn;t stay in place. I haven't seen any weaterstripping...
10
10

Mystery Problem with GFI
The outlet in Bathroom 1 has a GFI. There is one line feeding the line side, and there are two lines on the load side. This same GFI is used for the outlet in Bathroom 2 since the BR2 outlet loses...
4
4

Sheetrock over 24-inch centers
I am insulating and finishing an attic space. The sloping roof rafters are 24 inches on center. Between the rafters, I will be placing rafter vents and insulation, and then sheetrock over that. My...
7
7

Pressure testing new gas line
I ran a new gas line for a garage furnace. It is about 50 foot of 3/4 line I pressure tested with air at 30psi to find major leaks. I soaped all joints and did not see anything. It dropped to 28.5psi...
14
14

Minor roofing problem
I have a small section of my roof, maybe 2 feet by 2 1/2 feet, where for reasons unknown to me the roofing nails have popped up about an inch, causing the shingles on top of them to buckle. Of course...
9
9

running a straight line through trees
We've got a bunch of woodland that's partly on our property and partly on a neighboring (vacant) plot. Runs for about 300' or so, and there's a boundary marker either side of the...
40
40

Steel vs. Wood vs. Fiberglas Exterior Doors
Subject says it all. Missus says we need to replace the front exterior door to our house with a pre-hung new one. Not sure which to get for replacement. Security, insulation value, service life are...
18
18

Looking for antique brass toggle light switch
Need to replace a couple of old fashioned light switches that are an early 1900's brass toggle style. I've found antique push-button switches, but can't find any brass toggle type...
39
39

Septic failure? stinky house!
We just bought our home and moved in less than a week ago, so I haven't had much time to get used to the ins and outs of our new home but there are a couple things I'm not sure about with the...
49
49