Auto Brake question

Is it customary to replace brake rotors when the pads wear down? I understand if the rotors have cracks in them, or the pads wore down to the rivets, they'd need to be replaced or at least turned. I still had some life left in the pads, but elected to replace them while I was in for an inspection, and they told me that they routinely replaced the rotors at the same time

Reply to
RBM

Well I always replace rotors!

But thats just me but heres why.

Rotors on newer vehicles arent very heavy, so generally shops recommend on turning them so they are straight and smooth. turning them costs money

But this maes them thinner and before you know it rotors warp and pulsate:(

So now you need new rotors anyway and pads again.

In my case its worse I carry extra weight in my van for my job.........

Reply to
hallerb

It seems to be coming more routine. Rotor are made thinner and cheaper than in the past. If a rotor was getting grooved, it could be turned down. Today, there is barely enough to turn and they can be replaced for $25 on some cars.

If your rotors were in decent condition, you did right in leaving them alone. Some brake shops won't just replace pads. They insist on going a complete change of pads, rebuilding the calipers, etc. The reasoning is that they can then give a warranty on the entire job knowing that faulty parts were not missed and cause a problem in a few weeks. Far more expensive that just popping in a set of pads though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Where are these brake rotors used on the home?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

To help transport supplies for remodeling:):):)

GEEZ its a very valid question!

Reply to
hallerb

"RBM" wrote in news:4b521a8f$0$4976$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Hmm, a bit off topic, are we?

If the shop routinely replaces the rotors, ask them why. I personally would avoid a shop that routinely replaces rotors without first checking to see if the old ones can be machined. The exception might be newer cars that come with pretty thin rotors, and they often can't be machined. Some rotors can be machined, but will warp easily afterwards because they are too thing. With a bit of experience, you know which cars will probalby need new rotors and you learn not to waste time machining them.

Most older cars come with nice fat rotors that can be machined many times. There are good reasons to routinely replace rotors on some models, but it is unnecessary and wastefull with other models.

Reply to
Zootal

It really depends on the vehicle. Back in the day you could run two or three sets of pads on one pair of rotors, with a cleanup on a brake lathe at each pad change. Newer vehicles tend to not have as much meat on the rotors and sometimes they'll be worn enough after one set of pads that turning them would bring them at or close to the replacement spec.

I am real disappointed with the brakes on the newer GM products. Had to have the rotors turned at less than 30K miles due to a bad pulsation. Previous company car wore out the brakes completely at less than 50K miles. "they don't make 'em like they used to" indeed. The benefit to going light on the brakes is less unsprung weight, (theoretically) better handling, better fuel economy.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"RBM" wrote in news:4b521a8f$0$4976$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Yeah,at YOUR expense....

there's a minimum thickness spec stamped on the rotor hub. you need a micrometer to measure it.

IMO,unless you had a pad's backing plate grind into your rotor or it's grooved,you don't need to replace them,nor turn them,unless the car has a LOT of mileage on it.(modern pads don't use rivets) In fact,turning them may make them more prone to warping,and then you need new rotors.

BTW,it's pretty easy to replace brake disc pads yourself,especially on the fronts,which wear faster. The rear caliper piston may have to be -turned- (screwed) back in rather then simply pressed in like the front caliper pistons.

Mechanics probably replace rotors because it's easier than measuring,turning,and then maybe having them warp and you back for warranty repair.Of course,they make profit on parts sales,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have faith in the mechanic shop that services my Sprinter, which I use in my electrical service. It's been years since I've done any real auto mechanics, so as I recalled, you would just turn the rotors when doing a brake job. I suspected the rotors probably weren't made like they used to be, and I would certainly rather put money into new ones, than weakening old ones, especially considering the weight I carry.

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RBM

I agree, however, new pads will "seat" better if the rotors are turned or at least scuffed with some medium grade emery cloth to take the glaze off.

Reply to
Ron

The limit on even the "old fat" ones was usually 2, or at the very best, 3 times.

As for machining vs replacing? On today's cars, with rotors often available for less than $40 and machining costing 30+, why would you EVER machine the rotor??

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It cost me $25 to machine my rotors, $90 to replace them. If it really was $40 versus $30, phht, ten bucks more gets me new rotors? Replace them!

In the end I replaced them anyhow because within six months the had warped. Next time I pay $90 to replace them instead of $25 to machine them.

Reply to
Zootal

My mechanic says that is necessary, for the warranty. The guys who make brake pads want the rotors replaced, too. Made sense, to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

why would you replace rotors if they don't need replacing? Why turn them if they don't need turning?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

| As for machining vs replacing? On today's cars, with rotors often | available for less than $40 and machining costing 30+, why would you | EVER machine the rotor??

About 25 years ago I had a Honda Accord which I took to a Honda Barn for service. They frequently machined the rotors. What did I know? It was my first car. Eventually on one service I got a sad call that my rotors were too thin to machine and would have to be replaced. The cost to replace was just slightly _less_ than the cost to remove/machine/install. Maybe this is related to high labor charges at dealer shops, but since then I've always insisted on replacement.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Don't replace the rotors unless absolutely needed. The objective is to replace the (cheaper) pads well before the rotors become damaged. It's a good idea to inspect the pads yearly, perhaps more often if you are driving on a lot of salted roads.

Reply to
Phisherman

Once upon a time, disc pads were made of asbestos. This is now verbotten. The new pads are harder and eat the discs. This is the reason for their replacement.

Reply to
Clot

There reasoning is that they make a hell of a lot more money. Most people need nothing more then pads replaced on the first brake job. I'm had many cars with the original calipers still going strong past

125,000 miles. Most brake work is a scam to move money from your pocket to the shops pocket.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If it works, don't fix it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Apologies, I should have said "Once upon a time, pads were made of asbestos. This is now verbotten. The new pads are harder and eat the rotors. This is the reason for their replacement."

Reply to
Clot