Subject Author Posted Replies

Heres the new standard in glass and window cleaners ; toss all the other spray products .
tried dozens of so called good window cleaners but they always left streaks. From reading the comments of Users on the site above, i decided to try it. This is definitely the Best . Incredible...
2
2

Check and maintain those outlets.
Nasty fire in this area, last night. Appears one fatality. Woman woke around 2.30 AM to hear 'popping noise, sparks and flames from an outlet. Managed to get herself and 12 year old out, but suffered...
6
6

New Grainger catalog
So there it was on my doorstep; a medium-sized but heavy box. Opened it up and there was the brang-new Grainger catalog. All 4,130 pages of it, most in 4-color printing. Nicely bound in a heavy cover...
20
20

How to detect slight air movement?
Other than smoke and toilet tissue, are there other ways to detect slight air movement? The problem with smoke (I used an incense) is that it works great detecting horizontal or strong downward air...
17
17

Can I decrease the heat loss?
I know that the answer in relative terms is 'yes', but in practical terms can I wrap insulation around my three year old water heater and make a noticeable difference? If so, what kind of insulation?...
27
27

Install Bathtub/Shower in Basement
My son in law's house has a rough in for a bathtub/shower drain in the floor in a hole filled with gravel, so don't know what's down there yet, but he thinks he and I can install the tub drain. I...
4
4

OT Rome
Do yourself a favor and see it. Rome: Created by Bruno Heller, William J. MacDonald, John Milius. With Kevin McKidd, Ray Stevenson, Polly Walker, Kerry Condon. A down-to-earth account of the lives of...

Chain sharpening redux
I went to a store today, and they have EZ lap diamond bits that you can chuck up to a drill motor or Dremel or whatever. $6 or thereabouts, and I'm looking forward to going out tomorrow and attacking...
2
2

OT - Chili Recipe?
I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday. It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful. I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or stove top,...
38
38

GFCI must be 20 amps.
Hi, My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a 20amp circuit. True or false? Thanks, Sam
32
32

Basement finishing COMPLETED!!!
Sure, we are amateurs. Sure, there are some areas that could be better. Sure, it took almost 4 years to finish. Sure we hired a contractor to do the drop ceiling. We know when we're over our hrad....
16
16

Drilling tapcons into hollow blocks
Is there any special tricks in using Tapcons on hollow concrete block walls? I want to secure copper pipes, PVC drain pipes etc... onto my block walls using those copper straps. I am using 1-1/2"...
26
26

Breaking a soldered joint
Has anyone heard of someone rupturing a soldered copper pipe joint by deflecting the pipe (e.g. to clear an interference)? Just curious.
27
27

GFCI outlet question.
Would a GFCI outlet work as an overload breaker? I have a refrigerator and chest freezer in my attached garage along with the garage door opener and an outside outlet box. All are on one circuit....
43
43

Bathroom GFCI with no ground?
I want to replace an existing 2-prong receptacle in a bathroom with a GFCI receptacle. There is no ground wire going to the existing receptacle and no grounded metal cable or grounded metal outlet box...
31
31