garage door opener

Chain, belt, or direct drive?

Here we go again, this has been talked about in the past. My 25 year old Stanley bit the dust and I'm going to replace it. I see the various drive types, all have models in the same price range $170 to $250. Any one to avoid completely?

I've seen Genie and Chamberlain so far, but I have no brand preference. Both have been around for a long time. My door is steel, well balanced and opens with ease so I don't need a big powerhouse. No fancy accessories needed either. Functions needed are only open, close. No fancy lights, sirens, delays, iPod ties ins etc.

Comments?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Isnt there a screw drive to add to the list, when I had trouble with my chamberlin popping open they talked me through the whole process of adjustments, I was out of warranty and not even given the "30 questions" all ask of personal info, then just saying my remotes were not working right, they send me 3 new ones free, only later I realised it was the batteries. I will buy their stuff nextime for the easiest tech support experiance I have ever had and 3 remotes I didnt deserve. I have a maybe 25 yrs old chain drive pulling a 700lb door, the small unit.

Reply to
ransley

FWIW: I've had Chaimberlain and Genie both which needed maintenance and replacing. I've since installed Overhead Door's Phantom belt drive (one each for both doors) and the master br is above the garage and they CANNOT be heard when operating. Best move I made and that was over 10 years ago.

Good luck.

Reply to
bobmct

My openers are both belt driven (what I have). That can stretch and need repair. So can a chain stretch. Direct would seen to be nosier?

My belt drives are still quite after 5 years. Some lube on the metal door and all is well.

I'm a fan of Martin Doors, because I'm biased :-/

Family owned ...

Check out their door openers. My opener brand is now owned by Martin Doors.

Reply to
Oren

Hi, My Genie screw drive opener is 16 years old. So far have not had any trouble with it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ed-

Don't forget we'll be giving oyu data on the performance of OLD units.

Over the years I've had both chain drive & screw drive.

I've only had two fail...both were chain drives One was after more than 25 years, the other on a terrible door installation after 20+

I've gone away from chain drive and now only use & suggest screw drives. I just don't like seeing that open chain any more.

If I was going buy one now, I go with a 1/2 Chamberlain Screw Drive. The thing that sold me on them was their on the phone tech support; quick, knowledgeable and friendly.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Noise is not an issue because it is a detached garage. belt is the quietist. screw drive is next. Seems like the chain is falling from favor. So far, I see no big difference by any in the same price range.

Martin looks like nice stuff.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Looks like a coin toss between Genie and Chamberlain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"bobmct" wrote

My door is an Overhead. At the time they wanted to put a new opener and while it was a good one, it was pricy. That was 9 years ago and the old one was still working. I should give them a call for a price though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been using Genie's for over 30 years and the first one I bought is still in use at a rental house. The only failures in them have been that one of them needed the sliding gizmo replaced (about $15) and another one needed a transformer on a circuit board replaced (which I was able to track down and do myself for about $15). The last one I bought was called an "Excellerator" or something like that and uses a DC variable speed motor and it opens at double the usual speed and closes at the normal speed. It also somehow sets it's own "stops" the first time it's run or after each power failure/loss. It runs very slowly while setting the stops and somehow "feels" when it's at the end of the travel each way and after that remembers the settings.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I had seen 6-8 Martin brand doors installed before. I had one single GD replaced. Salesman shows up and I pick the door. Then, HE told me to go to the local Lowe's. He said their price was $200 cheaper for the door. I had a good belt opener (near new).

I was concerned about a "Lowe's Installer", being that Martin door installers are factory trained. The sell the doors for Martin, with the stipulation that only their company install them. Great!

Further talking with the guy, he was telling me Martin has some patient. Seems, the "adjustments" are stored on a chip. Never adjust the up/down forces, as it is a memory chip, IOW, the door detects a down force of some number and then will reverse.

I did say I'm biased. Check your local Lowe's store (Martin link ?) for a *hands on*. Quality is outstanding. Oh, I just got a 30% IRS deduction for that single door. :-)

Reply to
Oren