chain drive garage door opener

Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO. Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a "slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in the mechanism...

Reply to
Don Y

There's a spring in the door-capture mechanism that cushions excess tension.

Reply to
bob_villain

If it's like my door opener, which has a slack chain about every three months, there is an adjustment screw on the back of the motor/gear box. Climb up there and tighten the chain.

I have not yet found a way to keep the adjustment from moving and slacking the chain.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

This adjustment is in series with the chain -- i.e., the attachment of the chain is via a variable length (threaded rod) member; shorten it and the chain is effectively tightened. *It* doesn't "move" (with wear).

I'm just curious as to the downside of a slack chain (assuming it is not excessive)

Reply to
Don Y

The downside is it wears the paint on the front of the door!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

It would have to be *really* loose to sag that much!

Reply to
Don Y

On some you can move chain sprocket.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Which I why I've always bought Genie screw drives. My oldest one lasted about 35 years of near daily use. Only repair was to replace the engagement teeth ($10) once.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

Screw drive openers hae minimum size requirements placed on the garage! I bought one for my BinL as a gift. It sat in an unopened box until long after they sold their condo: couldn't *cut* the screw to make it fit in the space they had available (a chain drive would have been relatively easy to alter).

Reply to
Don Y