Refinishing hardwood floor

Hi, I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark stains from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the rest of the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to match the rest of the floor? Thanks, Henry

Reply to
Henry

Bleach would lighten them up, however, getting them to match the rest of the floor would be luck of the draw. Doing it right would require you to chisel those boards out and replace them prior to sanding. If they're stained like that, they're damaged anyway, why would you want to keep them?

gl,

jc

Reply to
Joe

Save the aggravation. Just use a small rug.

MATT

Reply to
matt

Henry wrote: ...

Oxalic acid...follow directions on label; start lightly

--

Reply to
dpb

Save the aggravation. Just use a small rug.

...or you could do it right.

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote: ...

Yeah, like remove the staining...

--

Reply to
dpb

Oxalic acid is your friend here. The stains are caused by tannins in the wood darkening. Buy some deck cleaner (check the label to be sure it contains oxalic acid) and soak the area. Repeat until the stain is gone. I've even used it on finished floors. It won't change the unstained area at all. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

The OP may be in the same circumstances as myself. I have mid 1950's floor. It is solid oak 3/4 inch thick by two inches wide. Top nailed, not tongue and grove.

Just try to find 2 inch wide 3/4 inch thick oak (preferably red oak). If you do find it, please post the link.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Wouldn't a good drum sanding take care of most of this? And then use bleach if needed?

Reply to
Brent Bolin