The gap between wall and hardwood floor, which caulk to use??

Hi, all:

Sorry I'm a beginner level DIY-er. Recently we had our hardwood floor sanded and refinished. After it was done, we found that the hardwood floor now has a "gap" at the edges of the floor and the wall (probably drywall, not sure what is the material). I'm thinking of doing some caulking but don't know which kind of caulk I should apply, any suggestions? Thanks!

Reply to
T.T.

A gap is necessary for expansion in humid weather. Dont you have baseboard moulding over the floor. Caulk it tight and it is possible to have problems. Someone instaled a wood floor where I now live in low humidity to the wall, in summer it buckled up 4 inches, It had to be junked.

Reply to
m Ransley

Do not caulk there. It will be an ugly mess. Add quarter-round.

-B

How big a gap, and where does it go? If it's a big enough gap, and it leads to an air-space, or down through the subfloor, or anywhere else it's likely to be a entrypoint for drafts of vermin, then you might stuff it with weatherstripping and THEN cover it with molding.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default