Dishwasher Repair

I have a 4 year old Frigidaire Stainless steel front dishwasher model FDB989GF. The lower heating element must have come loose from the clips and melted a hole in the lower part of the tub. This is a one piece tub and I have the PDF instruction manual that shows me how to change it. My question is:

A) is there a glue or epoxy that is even worth trying to fix the tub liner in the environment of a dishwasher

or

B) Could anyone estimate the time it would take to replace the liner as opposed to purchasing a new dishwasher. I would be doing the replacement myself so it would be cost of parts + my own labor rate.

Any comments or experience in this would be greatly appreciated, via email or post here.

Regards,

Scott

Reply to
W. Scott Wohlgemuth

A lot of dishwashers guarantee their tubs forever. You might double check yours before taking it apart. I think with the maytag, for example, if the tub ever leaks they replace the whole dishwasher free..... and the warranty is for a very long time.

Reply to
Art

I just went through the warranty thing with a GE Microwave that was 1 month out of warranty on Labor and 5 years Parts on the tube. It was the tube that caught fire but they wanted over and a above the cost of the whole microwave to just verify if it was a warranty issue or not. Then they never showed up for the appt and they wanted the service hours to be between 8 am and 5 pm, then they were a week late, then they called a week later and would not leave a number to call back on. GE also told me that it would cost me to take it to a auth. GE service center to verify that it was a MFG defect to be covered by parts only...... I did really like this microwave so I gave it the all to get it fixed. Point being........ do I think that Frigidare will replace the tub and perform the labor for free based on the fact that a heating element came loose just under silverware bracket be fixed for free...... I doubt it..... warranty or not.

Scott

Reply to
W. Scott Wohlgemuth

Well Frigidaire has one of the worse dishwasher repair records..... beat only I think by Asko. I had an Asko and when it broke 4 times in 6 years I thru it away even though it was a $800 washer and they offered to supply the defective pump if I paid for labor which would have been less than $200. Bought myself a 3 level Maytag which isn't as quiet but holds a lot of dishes. I would dump the troubleprone Frigidaire if it were me. I hate washing dishes.

Also, just to mention again, in the Maytag case they do not attempt to replace a leaking tub..... they replace the whole unit. If Frigidaire warranty says the same in their warranty it still might be worth pursuing despite your GE experience. They may just give you a coupon to take to the store to get a new dishwasher. That happened with a toilet I owned.

Reply to
Art

Hi,

I'd be interested in seeing this PDF file!!

Yes, it would have to be food grade since the things you put in there you will be eating off of! One things about patching is it never an

100% repair, the patch often wears or become weak and a leak could occur....if you want to take a chance at a floor or water damage, there are some products available to try a patch job.

Never changed a plastic liner one yet, on the older metal liners ones it would take me about 4-5 hours to remove all items and to transfer them over to the new liner. To R&R a d/w it is often about 30-60 minutes ( as long as the original install was done correctly ).

Have you contacted Frigidaire? They have replaced some of these with the burnt holes in the liner.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Reply to
W. Scott Wohlgemuth

Well I would not give them any more money especially since something else is likely do break on the washer soon since it has a very poor repair record. So far my Maytag has been good. Bought one for my inlaws and it too has been problem free. A friend bought a Maytag also with no problems.... all about 2 years old.

Reply to
Art