Subject Author Posted Replies

running fluorescent light w/ one tube dead?
just curious if there are any long-term negative consequences to using a fluorescent fixture w/ a dead tube... specific application is my desk light, it's a (very old) Dazor "floating fixture" deal...
9
9

Insulation in interior wall around shower stall - why?
The continuing saga of me and my broken plastic pipe and shower valve lol... So I am removing the sheetrock in pieces small enough that I can put them back with minimal patchwork when I'm done -...
11
11

Are low temperature dehumidifier for real?
I'm shopping for a crawlspace dehumidifier and come across units that claim to work under low temperature, as well as units that do not mention anything about low temperature. Are low-temperature...
6
6

Tile Question - Part II
I posted here about a month ago re: installing tile in one of my bathrooms. The professional guy was here today. He has done a lot of work for me in the past, but I need some opinions please. He said...
14
14

Fluorescent light fixture problem
Hi all: One of my 2-tube Fluorescent light fixtures in my 2-fixture kitchen light box went South, so I trotted down to HD for a replacement. Purchased what I thought was the same brand and same model...
2
2

moving garage door to different wall
Hi all: Our driveway is in need of complete replacement and as part of our discussions we are considering moving the driveway entirely to possible free up room for a later addition to the house. This...
12
12

Running refrigerator off generator questions
If a refrigerator requires a 15 or 20 amp power supply, then wouldn't a 13 amp, 14 gauge heavy duty power cord be insufficient to connect the refrigerator to a generator? Also, wouldn't using two...
13
13

Oster microwave problems (2023 Update)
hello, just joined hoping to find some help, i have a 1.1 oster convection microwave and for some reason if it runs more the 5 min it cuts out and i have to wait 30-40 min then it comes back on. the...
25
25

Poly over old stained wainscoating?
We have some old dark staind wainscoating in one of our bathrooms. I would like to clean it up and put on a protective coat of poly. I'm not sure what the old finish is, but I was thinking of doing...
13
13

What happened with the guy who wanted to splice 100' of wire onto a GTO exit wand?
Hello - Did we ever get a follow-up/resolution from the fellow who was trying to add wire to the exit wand for his driveway exit system? That was an entertaining thread. Mike
3
3

Sunbeam water dispenser
I haev a Sunbeam hot / cold water dispenser. It is the type that has a 5 gallon water bottle on top. The water leaked out yesterday. Nice mess to come home to. I took it apart and found a hose had...

Second Floor Laundry Room
Hi, I have purchased an 1890 vintage house in Cincinnati and would like to put in a "laundry closet" in an eave on the second floor. I could use some suggestions about building a good floor liner in...
26
26

humidifier drain line
I have an Aprilaire humidifier hooked up to my furnace (natural gas) and this morning I found water on the floor under the condensate pump where the humidifier drains. The pump is attempting to run,...
10
10

3-way switches to ceiling fan and light?
I am trying to figure out how to (or if I can) wire a ceiling fan and light so that the fan and light are controlled separately -- and both are controlled from two different sets of switches at two...
11
11

GE Dishwasher pumps out, but no internal circulation/washing
My son-in-law just called me and said their dishwasher is acting up. It is a GE "Quiet Power 3", about 3 years old. It will fill, go thru the washing cycle without any noise from the pump, and then...
2
2