New Electric Dryer -- worth it?

Awl --

The list of reasons to replace a traditional top loader washing machine with a front loader is about an arm-length long -- it's rare that such purchase decisions are win-win-win-win, with virtually no tradeoffs.

What can be said about newer dryers vs. older dryers? It seems to me that there is not such a big diff between new and old, as, well, heat is heat, air is air, and cfm's are cfm's.

Any opinions? I'm telling the wife to just let the old 20+ year old Kenmore dryer run 'til it drops. Which is what we did with their top loader washer, which I regret, now that I know how much front loaders save.

Also, the washer/dryer price differential seems to be a lot smaller than it used to be. Iow, dryers aren't cheap, despite their ostensible simplicity.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Don't regret the toploader until your wife gives a pass to they way the clothes smell and feel coming out of the frontloader.

Reply to
RRW

"Existential Angst" wrote

Good luck with that.

Clean the dryer vent to be sure it is in top shape and let it rip. Ours is

29 years old and still works. The washer was replaced about 5 years ago and my wife does make occasional mention of replacing the dryer. Aside from not matching the machine next to it, there is no practical reason to replace it. .
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The main reason to upgrade would be the moisture sensor. I bought mainly to match the washer, but it turned out to be a good investment, as the drying cycles are significantly shorter, and I'm thinking it has payed for itself in 3 years due to reduced fuel use. Allowing it to stop when the clothes are dry is a lot better than some abstract amount of time.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I suspect that, much like keeping/fixing an older, slightly more gas-guzzling car with a new one, it's often cheaper to keep using the old washer until it dies -- if you figure a new washer at $500 (yes, front loaders can be had that cheap; we have one that we like just fine) that might last 10 years, that's $4.16 per month. If you do 5 loads per week, saving 20 gallons per load at $5.00/1000 gallons, that's $.50/week or $2.00 a month. So it's cheaper to use the less efficient machine as long as possible, but when buying a new one anyway, getting the more efficient one. Yes, I completely discounted interest, time value of money, water heating costs, the slight dryer savings from the faster washer spin, and more, but the point is that you'd have to calculate all the variables in your area to determine the tradeoff.

But that wasn't your question -- unless your electric dryer has serious problems (or is a fire hazard), it's unlikely that a new one would be much if any more efficient. You'd probably save more by thoroughly cleaning/replacing the vent.

There is often savings to be had buying mismatched/separate washers/dryers. May not be acceptable if visible in the main great room as one of my friends has, but for an enclosed laundry room might be fine. With the front loader with front controls, we have both flat surfaces to pile junk on, so can't see the machines anyway :-)

Josh

Reply to
Josh

You didn't do quite enough homework, Angsty!

There is a top loader on the market that has all the advantages of a front loader, (plus a few more) and costs about half as much.

Reply to
salty

A gas dryer in my area costs less than half to run, cant you go gas? The mositure sensor in new units ill save you buks from running less and not overdrying, but a 20yr old US made kenmore might still last as long as a new china unit you replace it with, thing were made bettter then. The moisture sensor would make it worth it.

Reply to
ransley

Here's a question for the handy-man: Why can't a modern moisture sensor be added to an old dryer?

It would seem a fairly straight-forward enhancement:

  1. You mount it in the dryer exhaust vent
2, When it detects dry air, it trips the power to the dryer.
Reply to
HeyBub

All the ones I have worked on actually accelerate the timer as the humidity in the outflow air declines. Otherwise you have to come up with a way to reset what ever it is that you tripped. But still doable with some sort of self latching relay set up.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Ahh, but Salty errs but once again.... "traditional top loader", son. Yer so willing to getcher gloat on, you can't even read my posts correckly.

Reply to
Existential Angst

A gas dryer in my area costs less than half to run, cant you go gas? The mositure sensor in new units ill save you buks from running less and not overdrying, but a 20yr old US made kenmore might still last as long as a new china unit you replace it with, thing were made bettter then. The moisture sensor would make it worth it.

I think my Kenmore has a moisture sensor, with its AutoDry thing on the timer knob. It's got timed dry, air dry, and auto dry ranges.

But speaking of moisture sensors, doesn't a gas dryer sort of shoot itself in the foot a little, with the H20 of combustion? Not a big biggie, but mebbe a minor issue?

I guess one way to test the moisture sensor function is to put dry clothes in the machine, and see if the heat comes on?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Whoosh!

You truly are dumber than dirt. I'll bet your wife tells you that every morning as soon as you wake up.

Reply to
salty

I just invested $80 into a 10 year old GE gas dryer. ( solenoid valves, belt, and front drum bearing slides). Probably get at least another 5 years out of it before something needs fixing. Considering a new gas dryer ( at least 7 cu ft capacity) is over $500, I thought it was worth it to fix the old one. While I had everything apart, I vacuumed inside. Also a while ago I changed everything to rigid ductwork instead of the flex stuff. It cuts down on drying time and makes the dryer work more efficiently.

Reply to
Mikepier

Your other error is that these high eff top loaders are NOT cheap. And, pray tell, what are their advantages over a front loader?? btw, Howzat 7 year ROI geothermal coming alawng??

Reply to
Existential Angst

Half the cost of an equivalent front loader, but more than an inferior top loader. I already stated that.

Far less expensive. Doesn't require special (more expensive) soap, yet uses half as much soap as a conventional top loader. Fewer moving parts. Doesn't suffer from mold issues, which have been widely reported as a problem with front loaders. Leaves clothes almost completely dry at the end, after a high speed spin, meaning the dryer, which uses a LOT of energy, doesn't have to run nearly as long. That also shortens the overall time of a wash dry cycle from start to finish, as the dryer is usually the time hog. Uses far less hot water than a conventional top loader.

Reply to
salty

Dude, what were you, home schooled???

You stated that these high eff top loaders have advantages over front loaders, yet you cited the advantages they have over traditional top loaders, after I specifically asked you what those advantages over front loaders were.

You can get good front loaders for $500-700, check-rated by CR. Your high effic. top loaders, ergo, go for $250-350?? Try again.

I think you should query your mom about her lifestyle habits whilst you were in utero....

Reply to
Existential Angst

I had a matched set of Kenmore heavy duty models from the late 70's. Bought the washer used from a place who sold used appliances. Found the dryer in a front yard with a for sale sign on it. I thought how lucky was I to find a matching pair like this. I had a total of $125.00 in both and at the time (1990) they were maybe 11 years old. In 2005 I replaced a seized water pump in the washer along with the belts. Cost me around $40. In 2009 the transmission started to leak on the washer so I figured it was time to start looking to replace the washer. Since I had such good service from the Kenmore brand I looked at Sears and found a front loading, rear control high efficiency 3.6 cu ft Kenmore on sale for around $300 off their regular sale price. Got a rebate for the delivery and haul the old washer away.

I like the new washer. has a ton of features and cycle options. It will spin so fast your clothes come out almost dry. It does a better cleaning job using 75% less water and soap than the old Kenmore top loader. Only drawback if you can call it that is you need to use He soap because it doesn't foam. I bought an 10 pound box of powder

7 months ago and have enough for another month.

I didn't replace the 31 year old dryer. I have done nothing to it in the 20 years I have owned it. It needs a new belt since it squeaks a little when first started. I'll keep it until something major happens or I can't get parts for it.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Yes, contrary to the comments about a benefit being that new dryers having a humidity sensor, I would suspect that many 20 year old dryers have them too. That is only circa 1990.

Assuming the combustion air flows through the inside. Don't know because I haven't taken one apart, but seems like it would. But the added moisture isn't going to be much and for most people, a gas dryer is probably more cost efficient.

I think with at least most dryers, the heat is still going to come on. It's going to fire up regardless and the humidity level only causes the timer to advance faster, so you'd get a short cycle.

Reply to
trader4

Their main advantage, AS I STATED is that they have all the advantages at about half the cost of an equivalent front loader. As mentioned, they do have a few advantages over front loaders as well. You must have missed those, too.

There are no $500-700 front loaders that are anywhere near equivalent.

Look out, here comes your "wife" with her strap on, ready to proctologically violate you once again!

RUN!

Reply to
salty

.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Yes, the combustion results go through the dryer. Otherwise it would need a heat exchanger and a 2nd vent. Not practical. You are correct, the additional h2o is not significant.

Yes, the timer will just advance faster. If you set the dial towards Very Dry it may still run for quite a while.

Reply to
jamesgangnc