Buying advice for Washer and Dryer (for clothes).

I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front loaders?

Thanks for your time, Jim

Reply to
Jim

I like Roper..

Reply to
in2dadark

We just replaced our old Maytag - it didn't die. It wouldn't die. At the end of a cycle, it just kept going to the next cycle, non-stop :o)

Got a Kenmore 500. Basic. It has one irritating feature, which is it tries to decide how hot the washwater should be. When set on "hot" water, it fills with a rapidly interrupted hot water gush - almost like someone operating a hose spray on and off very quickly. The sound is irritating. The old repair guy said that is to keep from "washing in

160 degree water". Trouble is, we don't keep our hot water very not, not anywhere near 120, and can almost shower in hot water alone.

My daughter has an LP front loader and loves it. Does a ton of blue jeans in one load and so quiet you can barely hear it when in the same room. The panel reminds me of the dash on an '85 Mazda. Silver. Way cool. :o)

Reply to
norminn

I've had good results with Whirlpool. Mine was here when I moved in. 1994, and only needed minor maintenance since then. Of course, they might not be as sturdy now days. I'd want to avoid anything touch screen or electronic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Roper is usually a trimmed down Whirlpool. Just missing things such as some sound deading material. Good low end value. I had a Roper dryer once and it worked fine. I usually buy the Whirlpool brands now.

Twenty years ago Maytag was very good,but not so good anymore. I don't know how well they will hold up now they have been bought out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Isn't Mazda the car that causes the occupants to nearly twitch to death?

Reply to
HeyBub

I like Whirlpool. Until I bought a front loading Frigidaire a couple yrs ago I had owned Whirlpools [some with a Kenmore stamp] for 30 yrs. I think I owned 3-4 over that time, but can't remember one dying. I moved a few times and left the washer- a friend gave me a newer one once when they moved.

See my other thread on the latest reason I don't like mine. "another reason *not* to but a front loading washer" Message-ID: LG seems to have designed theirs to negate the difficulty of repair-- but they still suck socks & change into places they don't belong.

My *one* positive that I can say about my front loader is that it is quiet. So if it was in my living room, I'd consider a front loader again. I don't know if my clothes are cleaner-- I've never had a washer that I didn't think did that job well.

My wife was thrilled when I brought this set home as she wants anything that says 'new' on it, and had wanted a front loader for a year or so. These were our disappointments;

  1. Special detergent?! And few stores carry it- none have a selection.
  2. *Way* smaller drum., Too late now, but maybe they come in different sizes.
  3. Ergonomics to unload washer are all wrong--- bending over while pulling wet clothes out of a washer is uncomfortable for both my wife and I who both have bad backs. [I've raised them up 12" so it is tolerable- but unloading a top loader is way more convenient.]
  4. Why does it eat socks & stuff? That stupid coin catcher is a 1-2 hr job on the Frigidaire- a few minutes on the LG. . . but it still apparently eats stuff.

When you find the set you want Google them and see what folks like/dislike about that model.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Can't speak to brands because all brands have reliability issues to some extent or another. I was a die-hard Kenmore fan until our current 'fridge and microwave both started with noises (compressor on 'fridge, turntable on microwave) and they're less than six months old (and Sears home repair sucks worse than...I can't think of an apt comparison as to the monumentality of their suckage).

=A0

Excepting my comment above about Kenmore, my wife and I owned a Kenmore front-loader for four years before we sold the house, and were extremely happy with the washer. It was incredibly quiet, yes, and used 1/4 the water of our old top loader.

What sold us were two things: front-loaders are easier on clothes than top-loaders because top-loaders' agitators have to make the clothes circulate; and front-loaders spin cycle is at a higher RPM than top- loaders so clothes are not as damp when they go into the dryer and you don't use as much gas/electricity to dry your clothes (moot point if you hang-dry).

Now, my wife's brother bought our house two years ago and to date he is practically giddy with the Kenmore front-loader, because it outperfoms across the board the front-loader (also a Kenmore) his last landlord had. Difference? Ours was near the top-of-the-line and his was a basic, entry-level cheapie.

So when it comes to appliances, in my experience, it is worth it to move up the brand's levels to get a better-made unit.

Reply to
Kyle

When my old Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) top loader--direct-drive stopped working I looked at new ones. Looked like cheap crap with a plastic gear box and all. I decided to fix my old Kenmore. I bought a used motor for $30 and new agitator dogs and motor coupler for less than $10. It works great. I expect to keep repairing it as there seems to be a lot of parts still available. I recently saw one on Craig's List for free that said it needed a new clutch. That's fairly cheap and easy to fix. Personally I would rather have one that's durable and reliable than one that *might* save a couple of dollars in electricity but is expensive to repair. For that matter I can save on electricity by setting it to wash for seven minutes instead of ten. I have a well so a few gallons of water one way or the other isn't going to be noticeable for me. As for the dryers, my old Whirlpool gas dryer is in the garage and it still works except for the ignitor that I borrowed to fix the Kenmore. No problems with either, other than the ignitor. That makes it one inexpensive repair for two dryers in 25 years.

Reply to
Ulysses

Not everyone :) I love mine. I will never ever go back to at top loader. With the cost savings down the road they are really worth it. It will cut your water bill and electrical bill.

I had a roper dryer - not that impress.

I would also stay away from GE & Magic Chef.

Reply to
Dymphna

This is one of those "I love my (insert object here) except for (insert problem here)" kind of posts.

I love my Fridgedaire Front Loader except for one comestic problem. I love the way it cleans the clothes, I love the reduced amount of detergent and water we use, and I love the reduced amount of gas we use to dry the clothes since the 1100 RPM spin cycle practically dries the clothes by itself.

The one cosmetic problem is that the bezel that contains the control panel keeps cracking in the same spot. I believe it to be a stress fracture, perhaps due to a out of square frame.

We had the bezel replaced under warranty after about 6 months.

The new one cracked in the exact same spot less than a year later. It was out of warranty so I replaced it myself.

Less than a year later it cracked again in the exact same spot even though I tried to account for what appeared to be a slight twisting when I installed it.

I now live with the crack since I see no point in replacing the bezel every year.

Other than that, we love the machine and would recommend a front loader to anyone looking for a new washer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

on 5/22/09 12:09 AM Jim said the following:

Stay away from anything made in China. I am a free trader but my experience and everyone I know has problems with appliances made in China. Look for USA for washer and dryer and you should be safe.

Reply to
Yadda

Whirlpool

Reply to
benick

You did fine. That was graphic, and polite at the same time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Washer & dryers are a waste of money, energy, & water. The only time my clothes get washed, is when it rains out.

You people are to used to being babied. Next thing you'll want, is running water in your house.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

on 5/22/09 9:38 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

city living versus country living has different requirements. Something about germ theory...

Reply to
Yadda

Usually Consumer Reports has a decent article and ratings. I've done well with my 18-year old super-capacity Whirlpool washer/dryer. I don't like the higher price of the front loaders.

Reply to
Phisherman