Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side

Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.

Any tips for transporting them like that?

Reply to
muzician21

I'd check with the owners manual. I know on my Duet if you don't tighten the drum down first you can really f%$k it up. The transporting info is in the manual.

Reply to
JimT

Avoid large potholes!

Reply to
LouB

If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't. Even if have to rent a trailer or make other arrangements.

--

Reply to
dpb

Why?

If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be transported on their side, they're junk.

nb

Reply to
notbob

How about being towed upside down underwater? Should they be designed to withstand that too?

Reply to
salty

If you can't shoot them out of a cannon what good are they?

Reply to
JimT

Excellent point!

Reply to
salty

Particularly if they can't reach orbit safely!

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I have a refridgerator with shelves and drawers that stay perfectly in place as long as the unit is upright. Every time I lay it on its side, they all fall off.

I guess it's junk.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Transport on the back rather than the side if there is a choice. I would call the mfgr hot line and see what they say.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The dryer should be OK but the washer might be a problem. I inverted one once to work on it and all the oil leaked out of the transmission. The drum inside is also mounted with springs and bouncing down the road with the drum sideways might also cause some mischief.

Trailer or rent/borrow a truck or van.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Buddy, pickup truck, six-pack and a pizza?

Failing that, if it's a local move, Home Depot rents a good sized truck for $19 for and hour and a quarter.

Reply to
Slacker

Don't you need to buy something at HD to get that deal?

Reply to
LouB

That might be good. I rented a van at Uhaul for $20 a day and it finally cost me $180 at the end of the day.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Not around here.

But if they do in your neck of the woods, just buy something--- and return it when you bring the truck back...

Reply to
Slacker

ote:

$180?

I rented an open landscaping-type trailer from U-haul for less than $20 for the day. My son bought a riding mower at Sears (right next to U-Haul!) and that was the cheapest way (other than driving it) to get it home. That might work for the washer and dryer, as long as the OP has pads and tie-downs available.

Of course, I already had a hitch and 2" receiver on my van, so it was just "hook up and go."

Why did it cost you $180? Mileage?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Milage plus insurance.