under counter washer/dryer

OK, I need some ideas from the good folks in alt.home.repair.

I am planning a laundry room. SWMBO wants the whirlpool duet washer/dryer (Front load). I am planning a counter over the top of w/d and a sink base to one side with a drop-in sink. No problem, easy project (or so it would seem at first glance).

Here is the rub. The duet w/d is 38" floor to top. A standard base cabinet is 34 1/2" tall.

I thought this was going to be a simple one afternoon project!

I want to not spend a lot of $$$ of course.

My options as I see it:

1) Order a custom sink base - $$$$

2) Use a standard size sink base and build a platform for it - $

3) Build a custom cabinet in place - $$, lots of aggravation and time

4) No base cabinet just a post for corner of countertop - $ but will look like heck

5) No continuous counter over w/d, just a standard sink base and counter for sink.

Did I mis any options? What option would you do?

Once I figure this out I am then faced with the depth, the w/d is 31

1/2" deep, standard countertop is 24" deep. Seems like custom laminate top and filler to wall if I do option 2. Any option except #5 will require this custom top.

TIA

Brian

Reply to
Brian

I would do option #5 but, to give you more to think about...I believe you'll have more like 35" of depth to contend with, when you add the hookup hoses and venting.

Reply to
Tom

Thanks Tom - I think I will use a standard base cabinet with filler scribed to wall on side so I can make flush with front of w/d. I will then put a counter over base then jog it up and over the w/d.

Reply to
Brikp

On an upper floor?

If an upper floor, was the area designed to hold a washer?

Is the flooring solid enough for a washer? (see the following link)

Will the room be along an outer wall of have any support beneath?

Time and Money Saving Appliance Installation Tips

I suggest that you look into all of them before starting any major renovations.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Thanks Dan. new construction. 1st floor, basement below. When we move in the space will be ready to receive w/d, hook-ups, duct to outside, etc will all be in. I'm just thinking of dressing up the space with cabinets for storage and a more finished look as this will also be a mud room area and see some traffic (Fortunately its not the only way to the back yard)

Any thing to be concerned with in the Duet line? How about the new Bosch front loaders. I am told same capacity. Which do you prefer?

Reply to
Brikp

Was any consideration given to the laundry room being there when it was built. Is there a supporting wall underneath or very near by? I've seen a lot of new construction where the builders didn't properly reinforce the floor for laundry equipment to be on. It eventually caused problems for the washer and lots noise/vibration while in use.

No more than any other brand of washer when not used on a concrete footing as far as I know.

Sorry but I've never use either to have a preference. Maybe the Whirlpool due to their above average support and usually less expensive repair parts when needed.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Yes - Its close to two outside walls and should be plenty well supported. Thanks for your feedback on the Duet. You can see laundry room layout here

I know this doesn't show the framing below but the joist spans are minimal because its behind the garage. I don't think there will be an issue structurally.

Reply to
Brikp