Subject Author Posted Replies

Steel Prices
How much are you paying for mild steel these days? I've been paying $1.10 a pound for square tubing over the last month or so. It was $0.65 earlier this year, in May or thereabouts. What are you...
3
3

Putting in ground anchors ??????
I'm setting a trailer home. I have it on blocks, but need to put those 3 foot screw anchors into the ground. Yea, I know they just screw into the ground, and I need some sort of "handle" to screw them...
6
6

The Perfect Tapemeasure
Or at least a better one. Or at least according to Gizmodo.
19
19

Changing Locks
The door leading outside from my garage has two holes for locks -- the top one is the kind with a lever, up is unlocked and down is locked. The lever is on the inside. The second hole just has a door...
14
14

direct vent propane fireplace.
My wife installed a direct vent propane fireplace. After 15 minutes of very nice and warm use, the air in the room takes on a noticeable smell of fumes or whatever. The fireplace guy I hired to check...
4
4

Clearing a clogged hot melt glue gun
My trusty old Stanley glue gun got clogged after being left plugged in too long. Reamed it with nails, paper clips, etc. without much success - just a little trickle of glue. Have burned the crap out...
45
45

Getting the last little bit of liquid out of cans before they hit the recycle bin
No, it's not a troll. We always have a little puddle of ooze at the bottom of the recycle bin that attracts all sorts of insects. Anyone have a good way of emptying pop-tops cans completely other than...
34
34

Craigslist Murder
"North Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) - It's a vicious crime that could've happened to anyone. A mechanic is murdered on the job, and police say if the killer had his way, a second person could also be dead....
4
4

Halogen mini can lights
?Our new home has many of the Halogen mini floods in the ceiling. These are the type about 2-1/2" across, bulb is shaped with a reflector and with 2 pins on the back of the bulb. To replace the bulb,...
3
3

Replace bathroom light with no junction box
I removed my old bathroom light and there was no box. The wires were just fed through a hole in the wall. I have a new light fixture that requires being mounted to a box and weighs about 10 pounds....
10
10

All outlets must be replaced by 2012
A new law just went into effect in the electrical codes. By the end of 2011. December 31, 2011, all electrical outlets will be required to be replaced in every home, garage, shed, barn and commercial...
10
10

Not 1/4 Round?
Just back from buying some 3/4" quarter-round (well, 95/128" or whatever) . It isn't a quarter circle profile, though. The right angle part (the middle of the circle) has been machined off. Didn't...
8
8

how long will old boiler last?
Here's my question stated simply: How long do boilers generally last? I'm trying to determine if the one in my home will last through this coming heating season. Is there any way to check besides...
29
29

HF Multi-Tool -- Another reason I didn't know I needed one.
Broke down a month or two ago and bought their top of line multi-tool with no clear reason why I needed it. It is the kind of tool that you find good reasons for owning, as I have discovered several...
21
21

resurfacing swimming pool patio deck with pavers
planned on getting a suitable cement mix and using coping stones (with 90 degree over the pool edge turn) to surface the swimming pool edge and then lay down 1 inch thick pavers to cover the deck. is...